Ambiguity Attacks on the Ganic-Eskicioglu Robust DWT-SVD Image Watermarking Scheme
- 999 Downloads
We consider the security of a DWT-SVD robust watermarking scheme for images due to Ganic and Eskicioglu. We show that although the scheme has been proven to be robust, it falls to ambiguity attacks, namely that both the image owner and an attacker can extract their watermarks from what appear to be originally watermarked images, causing an unresolveable dispute on the ownership claims of the image. The underlying problem is that the designers concentrated solely on robustness but overlooked the equally important issue of rightful ownership first defined by Craver et al. Without providing rightful ownership, a watermarking scheme cannot be used for proofs of ownership applications. To the best of our knowledge, these are first known attacks on this scheme.
KeywordsInformation hiding watermarking SVD DWT rightful ownership ambiguity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Adelsbach, A., Katzenbeisser, S., Veith, H.: Watermarking Schemes Provably Secure Against Copy and Ambiguity Attacks. In: Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management (DRM 2003), pp. 111–119 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Andrews, H.C., Patterson, C.L.: Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) Image Coding. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 425–432 (1976)Google Scholar
- 4.Cox, I.J., Miller, M.L., Bloom, J.A.: Digital Watermarking. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Ganic, E., Eskicioglu, A.M.: Robust DWT-SVD Domain Image Watermarking: Embedding Data in All Frequencies. In: Proceedings of the ACM Multimedia and Security Workshop, pp. 166–174 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Ganic, E., Eskicioglu, A.M.: Robust Embedding Of Visual Watermarks using DWT-SVD. Journal of Electronic Imaging (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Ganic, E., Zubair, N., Eskicioglu, A.M.: An Optimal Watermarking Scheme Based on Singular Value Decomposition. In: Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Communication, Network, and Information Security (CNIS 2003), pp. 85–90. ACTA Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Katzenbeisser, S., Veith, H.: Securing Symmetric Watermarking Schemes Against Protocol Attacks. In: Proceedings of the SPIE, Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents IV, vol. 4675, pp. 260–268 (2002)Google Scholar