Specification and Refinement of Soft Real-Time Requirements Using Sequence Diagrams
Soft real-time requirements are often related to communication in distributed systems. Therefore it is interesting to understand how UML sequence diagrams can be used to specify such requirements. We propose a way of integrating soft real-time requirements in sequence diagram specifications by adding probabilities to timed sequence diagrams. Our approach builds on timed STAIRS, which is an approach to the compositional and incremental development of sequence diagrams supporting specification of mandatory as well as potential behavior.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [HHRS05a]Haugen, Ø., Husa, K.E., Runde, R.K., Stølen, K.: Why timed sequence diagrams require three-event semantics. Technical Report 309, Department of Informatics, University of Oslo (2005)Google Scholar
- [HHRS05b]Haugen, Ø., Husa, K.E., Runde, R.K., Stølen, K.: STAIRS towards formal design with sequence diagrams. Software and System Modeling 00, 1–13 (2005)Google Scholar
- [HM03]Harel, D., Marelly, R.: Come, Let’s Play: Scenario-Based Programming Using LSC’s and the Play-Engine. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- [ITU99]International Telecommunication Union. Recommendation Z.120 — Message Sequence Chart, MSC (1999)Google Scholar
- [Jan03]Jansen, D.N.: Extensions of Statecharts with Probability, Time, and Stochastic Timing. PhD thesis, University of Twente (2003)Google Scholar
- [JL91]Jonsson, B., Larsen, K.G.: Specification and refinement of probabilistic processes. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 266–277 (1991)Google Scholar
- [MM99]Morgan, C., McIver, A.: pGCL: Formal reasoning for random algorithms. South African Computer Journal 22, 14–27 (1999)Google Scholar
- [OMG04]Object Management Group. UML 2.0 Superstructure Specification, ptc/04-10-02 edition (2004)Google Scholar
- [OMG05]Object Management Group. UML Profile for Schedulability, Performance and Time Specification, version 1.1 formal/05-01-02 edition (January 2005)Google Scholar
- [RHS05]Refsdal, A., Husa, K.E., Stølen, K.: Specification and refinement of soft real-time requirements using sequence diagrams. Technical Report 323, Department of Informatics, University of Oslo (2005)Google Scholar
- [Seg95]Segala, R.: Modeling and Verification of Randomized Distributed Real-Time Systems. PhD thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1995)Google Scholar