LSBE: A Localization Scheme Based on Events for Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks
Due to the hardware constraint of sensors, the nodes’ localization is a difficult problem in WANs. Many localization schemes have been proposed in WANs and Ad Hoc, but most of them are not energy-efficient and unsuitable to WSANs. The appearance of another kind of heterogeneous nodes, actors, in WSANs presents us a good chance to solve this problem in more effective methods. In this paper, we analyzed why the localization schemes in WSNs and Ad Hoc are not adaptive to WSANs and then according to the unique features and application requirements of WSANs, we designed a novel localization schemes, LSBE, which is characterized by new ideas such as event-driven, limited beacons, signal strength level and actors cooperation. In additional, via simulation experiments, we proved that the positioning error of the LSBE doesn’t exceed 0.5m and the energy consumption of the system can be limited to a lower level compared with other existing localization schemes.
KeywordsSensor Node Event Report Localization Scheme Event Sensor Reference Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akyildiz, l.F., Kasimoglu, I.H.: Wireless sensor and actor networks: research challenges. Ad Hoc Networks (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.He, T., Huang, C., Blum, B.M., Stankoivic, J.A., Abdelzaher, T.: Range-Free Localization Schemes for Large Scale Sensor Networks. In: ACM MobiCom, San Diego, California, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Niculescu, D., Nath, B.: DV Based Positioning in Ad hoc Networks. Journal of Telecommunication Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Bulusu, N., Heidemann, J., Estrin, D.: GPS-less Low Cost Outdoor Localization for Very Small Devices. IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, 28–34 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Bahl, P., Padamanabhan, V.N.: RADAR: An In-Building RF-Based User Location and Tracking Systme. In: Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Harter, A., Hopper, A., Steggles, P., Ward, A., Webster, P.: The anatomy of a context-aware application. In: Proceedings of MOBICOM 1999, Seattle, Washington (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Priyantha, N.B., Chakraborty, A., Balakrishnan, H.: The Cricket Location-Support System. In: Proceedings of MOBICOM 2000, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Savvides, A., Han, C.C., Srivastaa, M.B.: Dynamic Fine-Grained Localization in Ad-Hoc Networks of Sensors. In: Proceedings of MOBICOM 2001, Rome, Italy (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.The Network Simulator –j-sim, http://www.j-sim.org/