VTarget: An Improved Software Target Emulator for SANs
With the increasing of storage scale and complexity, the storage management for heterogeneous environments is becoming more and more important. This paper introduces an improved software target emulator integrated with storage virtualization management called VTarget, and some key technologies are explained in detail. The VTarget system can manage various heterogeneous storage resources and provides one virtualization interface for storage management. It is implemented in the storage network layer in the SAN and can support heterogeneous operation systems. The VTarget system also provides an access control mechanism to enhance device security and adapts multi metadata copy technology to improve reliability. We have implemented a prototype of VTarget system and the testing results showed that the storage virtualization management influences the I/O bandwidth less than 3.6% and less than 8% in latency, which only has a very slight effect on storage performance for the mass heterogeneous storage system management.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Palekar, A.: Design and Implementation of A Linux SCSI Target for Storage Area Networks. In: Proceedings of the 5th Annual Linux Showcase & Conference (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Teigland, D.C., Mauelshagen, H.: Volume Managers in Linux. Sistina Software, Inc. (2001), http://www.sistina.com
- 3.Pratt, S.: EVMS:A Common Framework for Volume Management. Linux Technology Center, IBM Corp., http://evms.sf.net
- 4.Kim, C.-S., Kim, G.-B., Shin, B.-J.: Volume Management in SAN Environment. In: ICPADS 2001, pp. 500–508 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.SCSI Primary Commands - 3 (SPC-3), SCSI Block Commands - 2 (SBC-2), Working Drafts (2004), http://www.t10.org
- 6.Lumb, C.R., Merchant, A., Alvarez, G.A.: Fa?ade: Virtual storage devices with performance guarantees. In: Proceedings of the 2nd USENIX conference on File and Storage technologies, San Francisco, CA, pp. 131–144 (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.StoreAge Networking Technologies Ltd. High-Performance Storage Virtualization Architecture (2001), http://www.store-age.com
- 8.Intel Corp. Intel iSCSI project, http://sourceforge.net/projects/intel-iscsi,2001
- 11.Wilkes, J.: Traveling to Rome: QoS specifications for automated storage system management. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), pp. 75–91 (June 2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Huang, L., Peng, G., Chiueh, T.-C.: Multi-Dimensional Storage Virtualization. In: Proceedings of the joint international conference on Measurement and modeling of computer systems, pp. 14–24. ACM Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar