Experiences, Strategies and Challenges in Adapting PVM to VxWorksTM Hard Real-Time Operating System, for Safety-Critical Software
The role performed by Open Source Software in safety- critical systems is growing and gaining importance. Due to many, and large variety of, hard real-time constraints and functional requirements that safety-critical applications have to meet, these applications are nowadays composed by logical and physical components, deployed on heterogeneous distributed platforms. This paper is part of a still ongoing project, and is concerned with exploring experimentally the porting of PVM to VxWorks TM : the latter has an internal architecture very different from the Unix standard OS(s) (like for example Linux or Solaris TM ), which in turn is the reference OS platform for PVM.
KeywordsOpen Source Software (OSS) Safety-Critical Software (SCS) Embedded Hard Real-Time (HRT) Distributed Systems Parallel Virtual Machine (PVM) Experimental Software Engineering (ESE)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Geist, A., Dongarra, J., Jiang, W., Manchek, R., Sunderam, V.: PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine A User’s Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. The MIT Press, Cambridge (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Gropp, W., Lusk, E.: Goals Guiding Design: PVM and MPI. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Introduction to MPI, http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-11-html/node1.html
- 4.Liu, J.W.S.: Real-Time Systems. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Stankovic, J.A., Ramamritham, K.: Hard Real-Time Systems. IEEE SCP, Los Alamitos (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, Q., Yao, C.: Real-Time Concepts for Embedded Systems. CMP (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Bacon, J., Harris, T.: Operating Systems: Concurrent and Distributed Software Design. Addison Wesley, Reading (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Bovet, D., Cesati, M.: Understanding the LINUX Kernel. O’Reilly, Sebastopol (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Wind River, VxWorks_ programmers_ guide (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Wind River, Tornado_ users_ guide_ windows (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Dy4, DPK-TechDoc-CD 602716-001 Disk 1 (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Gilb, T.: Evo: The evolutionary Project Managers HandbookGoogle Scholar