An Efficient Parallel File System for Cluster Grids
ePVM is an extension of the well known PVM programming system, whose main goal is to enable PVM applications to run on computing nodes belonging to non-routable private networks, but connected to the Internet through publicly addressable IP front-end nodes. However, in order to enable large-scale PVM applications to effectively manage the enormous volumes of data they usually generate, ePVM needs a parallel file system. This paper presents ePIOUS, the optimized porting of the PIOUS parallel file system under ePVM. ePIOUS has been designed so as to take into account the two-levels physical network topology characterizing the “cluster grids” normally built by ePVM. To this end, ePIOUS exploits the ePVM architecture to implement a file caching service that is able to speed up file accesses across clusters.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Access Pattern Cache Memory Cache Service Cache Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Springer, P.L.: PVM support for clusters. In: Procs. of the 3rd IEEE Int. Conf. on Cluster Computing, Newport Beach, CA, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Stefán, P.: The hungarian clustergrid project. In: Procs. of the MIPRO 2003, Opatija, Croatia (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Berman, F., Fox, G., Hey, T. (eds.): Grid Computing: Making the Global Infrastructure a Reality. Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Foster, I., Kesselman, C. (eds.): The Grid: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Joseph, J., Fellenstein, C.: Grid Computing. Prentice Hall PTR, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Frattolillo, F., D’Onofrio, S.: Providing PVM with a parallel file system for cluster grids. In: Procs of the 9th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, Florida, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Moyer, S.A., Sunderam, V.S.: PIOUS: a scalable parallel I/O system for distributed computing environments. In: Procs of the Scalable High-Performance Computing Conference, pp. 71–78 (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Crockett, T.W.: File concepts for parallel I/O. In: Procs of the ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing, Reno, Nevada, USA, pp. 574–579 (1989)Google Scholar