Pattern Identification in Biogeography
- 764 Downloads
We develop and study two distance metrics for area cladograms (leaf-labeled trees where many leaves can share the same label): the edge contract-and-refine metric and the MAAC distance metric. We demonstrate that in contrast to phylogenies, the contract-and-refine distance between two area cladograms is not identical to the character encoding distance, and the latter is not a metric. We present a polynomial time algorithm to compute the MAAC distance, based on a polynomial-time algorithm for computing the largest common pruned subtree of two area cladograms. We also describe a linear time algorithm to decide if two area cladograms are identical.
KeywordsMast Problem Edit Distance Ecological Zone Maximum Agreement Leaf Label
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AK97]Amir, A., Keselman, D.: Maximum Agreement Subtrees in a Set of Evolutionary Trees: Metrics and Efficient Algorithms. SIAM Journal of Computing 26(6), 1656–1669 (1997); A preliminary version of this paper appeared in FOCS 1994 (1994) Google Scholar
- [BL98]Brown, J.H., Lomolino, M.V.: Biogeography, 2nd edn. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts (1998)Google Scholar
- [Bun71]Buneman, P.: The Recovery of Trees from Measures of Dissimilarity. Mathematics in the Archaelogical and Historical Sciences, 387–395 (1971)Google Scholar
- [CKP03]Crisci, J.V., Katinas, L., Posadas, P.: Historical Biogeography: An Introduction. Harvard University Press, Cambridge (2003)Google Scholar
- [EO05]Emerson, B.C., Oromi, P.: Diversification of the Forest Beetle Genus Tarphius on the Canary Islands, and the Evolutionary Origins of Island Endemics. Evolution 59(3), 586–598 (2005)Google Scholar
- [FCPT95b]Farach-Colton, M., Przytycka, T.M., Thorup, M.: The Maximum Agreement Subtree Problem for Binary Trees (1995), (Manuscript)Google Scholar
- [FCT94]Farach-Colton, M., Thorup, M.: Sparse Dynamic Programming for Evolutionary Tree Comparison. In: Proc. of the 35th Annual Symp. on the Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 770–779 (1994)Google Scholar
- [NP81]Nelson, G., Platnick, N.: Systematics and Biogeograpy. Columbia University Press, New York (1981)Google Scholar
- [Pag94]Page, R.D.M.: Maps Between Trees and Cladistic Analysis of Historical Associations Among Genes. Systematic Biology 43(1), 58–77 (1994)Google Scholar