On the Parameterized Complexity of Exact Satisfiability Problems
For many problems, the investigation of their parameterized complexity provides an interesting and useful point of view. The most obvious natural parameterization for the maximum satisfiability problem—the number of satisfiable clauses—makes little sense, because at least half of the clauses can be satisfied in any formula. We look at two optimization variants of the exact satisfiability problem, where a clause is only said to be fulfilled iff exactly one of its literals is set to true. Interestingly, these variants behave quite differently. In the case of ResMaxExactSAT, where over-satisfied clauses are entirely forbidden, we show fixed parameter tractability. On the other hand, if we choose to ignore over-satisfied clauses, the MaxExactSAT problem is obtained. Surprisingly, it is W-complete. Still, restricted variants of the problem turn out to be tractable.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Byskov, J.M., Madsen, B.A., Skjernaa, B.: New algorithms for exact satisfiability. Technical Report RS-03-30, BRICS (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Parameterized Complexity. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Karp, R.: Reducibility among combinatorial problems. In: Miller, R., Thatcher, J. (eds.) Complexity of Computer Communications, pp. 85–103. Plenum Press, New York (1972)Google Scholar
- 8.Kulikov, A.S.: An upper bound O(20.16254n): A simpler proof. Zapiski nauchnyh seminarov POMI 293, 118–128 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Madsen, B.: An algorithm for exact satisfiability analysed with the number of clauses as parameter. Technical Report RS-04-18, BRICS (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Madsen, B.A., Rossmanith, P.: Maximum exact satisfiability: NP-completeness proofs and exact algorithms. Technical Report RS-04-19, BRICS (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Porschen, S., Randerath, B., Speckenmeyer, E.: Exact 3-satisfiability is decidable in time O(20.16254n). In: Proc. 5th Int. Symp. on the Theory and Appl. Satisfiabilty testing (SAT2002), pp. 231–235 (2002)Google Scholar