BiChord: An Improved Approach for Lookup Routing in Chord
Efficient resource lookup is essential for peer to peer networks and DHT (Distributed Hash Table) provides an ideal solution for resource lookup in distributed networks. Chord is a representative peer to peer lookup service based on DHT. The topology of Chord is modeled as a directed graph. There is a unidirectional link from a node to its every routing table entry node.
In this paper, we propose to model the topology of Chord as a bidirectional graph. A reverse link is added for each original unidirectional link and such a pair of symmetrical links is maintained by a single heart-beat message. Then each node should maintain a finger table and a reverse finger table at very little additional cost. However, such reverse fingers may help to improve the lookup efficiency greatly. Theoretical analyses and experimental results both approve such improvements.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Napster, http://www.napster.com
- 2.The Gnutella protocol specification v4.0, http://dss.clip2.com/GnutellaProtocol04.pdf
- 3.KaZaA website: http://www.kazaa.com
- 4.Ratnasamy, S., Francis, P., Handley, M., et al.: A scalable content-addressable network. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2001, San Diego, CA, pp. 161–172 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Stoica, I., Morris, R., Liben-Nowell, D., et al.: Chord: a scalable peer-to-peer lookup protocol for Internet applications. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 11(1), 11–32 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, Z., Feng, Z.: Understanding Chord Performance and Topology-aware Overlay Construction for Chord, http://www.cs.berkley.edu/~zl/doc/chord_perf.pdf Project Report (2003)
- 9.Haihuan, B., Junjie, J., Wang, W.: ChordPlus: A Scalable, Decentralized Object Location and Routing Algorithm. Journal of System Engineering and Electronics (to appear)Google Scholar
- 10.Mesaros, V., Carton, B., Van Roy, P.: S-Chord: Using Symmetry to Improve Lookup Efficiency in Chord. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications PDPTA 2003, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Dabek, F., Kaashoek, M.F., Karger, D., Morris, R.: Wide-area Cooperative Storage with CFS. In: Proceedings of the 18th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Chateau Lake Louise, Banff, Canada (October 2001)Google Scholar