mSCTP for Vertical Handover Between Heterogeneous Networks
Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is a new end-to-end transport protocol that is featured ‘multi-homing.’ The mSCTP (mobile SCTP) is defined as SCTP with the capability of dynamic address reconfiguration. This paper describes a framework of mSCTP handover for supporting vertical handover between heterogeneous IP networks such as WLAN and 3G Cellular systems. We show some experimental results of the mSCTP vertical handover on Linux platforms. From the experimental results, we see that the handover latency of mSCTP depends on Round Trip Time (RTT) between two SCTP endpoints, possibly with the handover latency of 1 second below.
KeywordsData Packet Mobile Terminal Round Trip Time Vertical Handover Handover Latency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C., et al.: IP Mobility Support for IPv4. IETF RFC 3344 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Johnson, D., et al.: Mobility Support in IPv6. IETF RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Stewart, R., et al.: Stream Control Transmission Protocol. IETF RFC 2960 (October 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Stewart, R., et al.: Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Dynamic Address Reconfiguration, IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-tsvwg-addip-sctp-08.txt (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Chang, M., et al.: Transport Layer Mobility Support Utilizing Link Signal Strength Information. IEICE Transactions on Communications E87-B(9), 2548–2556 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Network Simulator 2, Available from http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 8.ns-2 modules for SCTP, Available from http://www.cis.udel.edu/~iyengar/research/
- 9.Linux Kernel Archives, Available from http://www.kernel.org/
- 10.Linux Kernel SCTP Project, Available from http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/
- 11.Stewart, R., et al.: Sockets API Extensions for Stream Control Transmission Protocol, IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-09.txt (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Ethereal, Available from http://www.ethereal.com/