A Multimedia Service Implementation Using MJPEG and QCELP in Wireless Handset
In this paper, a fast implementation of JPEG is discussed and its application to multimedia service is presented for mobile wireless internet. A fast JPEG player is developed based on several fast algorithms for wireless handset. In the color transformation, RCT is adopted instead of ICT for JPEG source. For the most time-consuming DCT part, the binDCT can reduce the decoding time. In upsampling and RGB conversion, the transformation from YC b C r to RGB 16 bit is made at one time. In some parts, assembly language is applied for high-speed. Also, an implementation of multimedia in wireless handset is described using MJPEG (Motion JPEG) and QCELP(Qualcomm Code Excited Linear Prediction Coding). MJPEG and QCELP are used for video and sound, which are synchronized in handset. For the play of MJPEG, the decoder is implemented as a SW upon the MSM 5500 baseband chip using the fast JPEG decoder. For the play of QCELP, the embedded QCELP player in handset is used. The implemented multimedia player has a fast speed preserving the image quality.
KeywordsAssembly Language Fast Implementation Color Transformation Decode Time Fast Decoder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Adams, M.D.: The JPEG-2000 Still Image Compression Standard, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 N 2412 (December 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Independent JPEG Group, http://www.ijg.org
- 5.Arai, Y., Agui, T., Nakajima, N.: A few DCT-SQ scheme for images. Trans. IEICE E71, 1095–1097 (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Rate Speech Service Option 17 for Wideband Spread Spectrum Communication Systems, TIA/EIA/IS-733 (March 1998)Google Scholar
- 7.ARM, http://www.arm.com
- 9.Crouse, M., Ramchandran, K.: Joint thresholding and Quantizer Selection for Transform Image Coding: Entropy-Constrained Analysis and Application to Baseline JPEG. IEEE Trans. on Image Processing 6(2) (February 1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Lakhani, G.: Modified JPEG Huffman Coding. IEEE Trans. on Image Processing 12(2) (February 2003)Google Scholar