Updating XML Using Object-Relational Database
- 352 Downloads
Presently, the area of updating XML is immature since XQuery has not provided update features. Thus this area has not been investigated as fully as it should have been. Moreover existing researches focus on updating native XML database so that everything must be created from scratch. Furthermore, an XML document is often treated as a database by keeping all data in one document, leading invariably to data redundancy. Such redundancy in XML documents can lead to data inconsistency and low performance when updates are performed. Therefore, we exploit the power of traditional database systems, which are fully developed to update XML documents. We present a mechanism to link non-redundant data kept in multiple XML documents. The data is held in an object-relational database (ORDB) and an update language is proposed, an extension to XQuery, which is translated into SQL for updating XML data stored in an ORDB. Finally, we present a technique to propagate the changes in an ORDB to XML documents.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abiteboul, S., Quass, D., McHugh, J., Widom, J., Winer, J.: The Lorel query language for semistructured data. Proceedings of Int. Journal on Digital Libraries, 68–88 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Amornsinlaphachai, P. and Rossiter, N. and Ali, A.: Translating XML update language into SQL (2004), http://computing.unn.ac.uk/pgrs/cgpa2/
- 3.Chamberlin, D.: Influences on the Design of XQuery. XQuery from experts: A Guide to the W3C XML Query Language, vol. 143. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Chamberlin, D.: XQuery from experts: A guide to the W3C XML query language. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Fernandez, M., Kadiyska, Y., Suciu, D., Morishima, A., Tan, W.: SilkRoute: A framework for publishing relational data in XML. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 1–55 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Klettke, M., Meyer, H.: Managing XML Documents in object-relational databases. Computer Science Department, University of Rostock, Germany (1999) Google Scholar
- 7.Rahayu, J.W., Pardede, E., Taniar, D.: On using collection for aggregation and association relationships in XML object-relational storage. In: ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Nicosia, Cyprus (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Shamkante, B., Navathe, S.: A proposal for an XML data definition and manipulation language. In: Bressan, S., Chaudhri, A.B., Li Lee, M., Yu, J.X., Lacroix, Z. (eds.) CAiSE 2002 and VLDB 2002. LNCS, vol. 2590, pp. 1–21. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Tatarinov, I., Ives, Z., Halevy, A.Y., Weld, D.S.: Updating XML. In: SIGMOD Conference, Santa Barbara, pp. 413–424 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.W3C: XQuery: An XML Query Language (2003), http://www.w3c.org/TR/xquery
- 11.XMLDB: XUpdate (2002), http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/xupdate-wd.html