Sesquioxides as Host Materialsfor Rare-Earth-Doped Bulk Lasersand Active Waveguides
- 1.8k Downloads
This Chapter focuses on the optical applications of rare-earth oxides. Due to their thermo-mechanical properties, the sesquioxides of yttrium, lutetium, and scandium are promising host materials for rare-earth-doped solid-state lasers. An Yb-doped Sc2O3 crystal has been successfully operated in the thin disk laser setup. A maximum output power of 124.5 W with a slope efficiency of nearly 50 % in the cw mode has been achieved. Additionally, high-quality thin films of these sesquioxides grown by pulsed laser deposition as well as by electron beam evaporation, either on sapphire or on quartz substrates, have been investigated for their use in integrated optics. These films were highly textured along the <111> direction. In the case of lattice matched systems, e.g., Lu0.92Sc1.08O3 on α-Al2O3, epitaxial film growth was achieved. Waveguiding of light at different wavelengths was demonstrated in yttria films with a thickness of 1 μm on both types of substrates.
Keywords71.55.-i; 72.80.Sk; 73.20.At; 75.47.Lx; 77.55.+f
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Giesen, H. Hügel, A. Voss, K. Wittig, U. Brauch, H. Opower: Scalable concept for diode-pumped high-power solid-state lasers, Appl. Phys. B 58, 365 (1994) Google Scholar
- V. Peters, K. Petermann, G. Huber, M. Larionov, J. Speiser, A. Giesen: Growth of sesquioxides for high power thin-disk-laser applications, in Advanced Solid-State Lasers Conference, vol. 68, Technical Digest, OSA TOPS (Quebec City, Canada 2002) pp. 150–152 Google Scholar
- C. Grivas, T. C. May-Smith, D. P. Shepherd, R. W. Eason: On the growth and lasing characteristics of thick :waveguiding films fabricated by pulsed laser deposition, Appl. Phys. A 79, 1203–1206 (2004) Google Scholar
- J. K. Jones, J. P. de Sandro, M. Hempstead, D. P. Shepherd, A. C. Large, A. C. Tropper, J. S. Wilkinson: Channel waveguide laser at 1 micron in -indiffused 3, Opt. Lett. 20, 1477–1479 (1995) Google Scholar
- C. L. Bonner: Multi-Watt, Diode-Pumped Planar Waveguide Lasers, Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Science, Department of Physics, University Southampton, Southampton (2000) Google Scholar
- A. A. Anderson: Crystalline Planar Waveguide Lasers Fabricated by Pulsed Laser Deposition, Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Science, Department of Physics, University of Southampton, Southampton (1998) Google Scholar
- S. J. Barrington: Planar Waveguide Devices Fabricated by Pulsed Laser Deposition, Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Science, Department of Physics, University of Southampton, Southampton (2001) Google Scholar
- L. Rabisch, S. Bär, H. Scheife: doped (/)23 thin films grown by thermal evaporation, Opt. Lett. accepted for publication Google Scholar