Rare Earth Oxides Grown by Molecular Beam Epitaxy for Ultimate Scaling
- 1.8k Downloads
Combination of lanthanum and other rare earth oxides with HfO2 yields stable compounds which withstand transistor processing and have low gate leakage and negligible threshold voltage instabilities. This could make these compounds good candidates for future low-operating power transistors with high-k gates, although they may not be suitable for aggressive scaling of Si-based devices due to rather high equivalent oxide thickness. On the other hand, rare earth oxides could share a good role in future nanoelectronics as part of the gate stack in high-mobility Ge and III–V compound semiconductor MOSFETs. Several of the rare earth oxides could easily change their oxidation state so that they could promote catalytic reactions to effectively passivate semiconductor surfaces and improve the electrical characteristics of devices.
Keywords71.55.-i; 72.80.Sk; 73.20.At; 75.47.Lx; 77.55.+f
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2003 edition of the ITRS Google Scholar
- W. Tsai, L. Ragnarsson, P. J. Chen, B. Onsia, R. J. Carter, E. Cartier, E. Young, M. Green, M. Caymax, S. D. Gendt, M. Heyns: Comparison of sub 1/2 with poly-/2 gate stacks using scaled chemical oxide interface, in VLSI Technology 2003, Digest of Technical Papers (Kyoto 2003) p. 21 Google Scholar
- A. Chin, Y. H. Wu, S. B. Chen, C. C. Liao, W. J. Chen: High quality 2O3 and 2O3 gate dielectrics with equivalent oxide thickness 5–10, in VLSI Symp. 2000, Digest of Technical Papers (Honolulu 2000) p. 16 Google Scholar
- G. Vellianitis, G. Apostolopoulos, G. Mavrou, K. Argyropoulos, A. Dimoulas, J. C. Hooker, T. Conard, M. Butcher: MBE lanthanum based high-κ gate dielectrics as candidates for 2 date oxide replacement, Mater. Sci. Eng. B, 85 (2004) Google Scholar
- D. S. Yun, C. H. Huang, A. Chin, W. J. Chen, C. X. Zhu, B. J. Cho, M.-F. Li, D. L. Kwong: 2O3-Ge-on-insulator n- and p-MOSFETs with fully and dual gates, IEEE EDL 25, 138 (2004) Google Scholar
- L. Pantisano, T. Conard, M. Claes, M. Demand, W. Deweerd, S. DeGendt, M. Heyns, M. Houssa, M. Alouaiche, G. Lujan, L. A. Ragnarsson, E. Rohr, T. Schram, J. C. Hooker, Z. M. Rittersma, J. Fompeyrine, J.-P. Locquet, A. Dimoulas: MOSFET with 2Hf2O7 and 2 high-κdielectrics integrated in a conventional flow, in Mater. Res. Soc. (Symposium G, San Francisco 2005) Google Scholar
- Z. M. Rittersma, J. C. Hooker, J.-P. Locquet, C. Marchiori, M. Sousa, J. Fompeyrine, L. Pantisano, T. Schram, M. Rosemeulen, S. DeGendt, G. Vellianitis, A. Dimoulas: Electrical characterization of 2Hf2O7 and 2 gate dielectric layers deposited by molecular beam epitaxy, J. Appl. Phys. 99, 24508 (2006) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- A. Dimoulas: Electrically active interface and bulk semiconductor in high-κ/structures, in Defects in High-k Gate Dielectrics (Proceedings of the NATO ARW, St. Petersbourg, Russia 2005) Google Scholar
- M. Houssa, A. Dimoulas, F. Bellenger, Y. Panayiotatos, A. Sotiropoulos, M. Caymax, M. Heyns: Electrical characterization of 2/MIS capacitors, unpublished Google Scholar