Requirements of Oxides as Gate Dielectricsfor CMOS Devices
- 1.8k Downloads
Analysis of fundamental material properties of the d-electron-based high-k dielectrics, which are under consideration for the application as gate dielectrics, indicates that this class of materials has serious limitations. However, the material intrinsic properties do not necessarily have to satisfy all performance requirements: certain properties can be modified by proper engineering. We formulate a technological approach to the requirements for gate dielectrics, which is specific to a given class of materials and aims to address negative aspects of intrinsic material properties.
Keywords71.55.-i; 72.80.Sk; 73.20.At; 75.47.Lx; 77.55.+f
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (ITRS), 2003 Edition (Semiconductor Industry Association) URL: http///www.itrs.net/ Google Scholar
- G. Bersuker, P. Zeitzoff, G. Brown, H. R. Huff: Novel dielectric materials for future transistor generations, Mat. Today 6, 26 (2004) Google Scholar
- G. Lucovsky, C. C. Fulton, Y. Zhang, Y. Zou, J. Luning, L. F. Edge, J. L. Whitten, R. J. Nemanich, H. Ade, D. C. Schlom, V. V. Afanase'v, A. Stesmans, S. Zollner, D. Triyoso, B. R. Rogers: Conduction band-edge states associated with the removal of -state degeneracies by the Jahn–Teller effect, IEEE TDMR 5, 67 (2005) Google Scholar
- A. R. Brown, J. R. Watling, A. Asenov, G. Bersuker, P. Zeitzoff: Intrinsic parameter fluctuation in MOSFETs due to structural non-uniformity of high-k gate stack materials, SISPAD (2005) Abstract of SISPAD 2005 International Conference on simulation of semiconductor processes and devices, september 1–3 2005, Komaba Eminence, Tokyo, Japan Google Scholar
- G. Bersuker, J. Peterson, J. Barnett, A. Korkin, J. H. Sim, R. Choi, B. H. Lee, J. Greer, P. Lysaght, H. R. Huff: Properties of the interfacial layer in the high-k gate stack and transistor performance, Electrochem. Soc. Proc. PV2005-05, 147 (2005) Google Scholar
- G. Bersuker, J. Gutt, N. Chaudhary, N. Moumen, B. H. Lee, J. Barnett, S. Gopalan, G. A. Brown, Y. Kim, C. D. Young, J. Peterson, H.-J. Li, P. M. Zeitzoff, J. H. Sim, P. Lysaght, M. Gardner, R. W. Murto, H. R. Huff: Integration issues of high-k gate stack: Process-induced charging, IEEE-IRPS Proc. 691, 479 (2004) Google Scholar