Scientific and Technological Issues Related to Rare Earth Oxides: An Introduction
- 2k Downloads
Significant research effort is currently being devoted to study deposition, dielectric, and electronic properties of binary rare earth oxides, as well as of complex oxides based on rare earth elements. Most of the motivations justifying this effort are found in the field of microelectronics – especially in the search of high dielectric constant oxides as candidates to substitute SiO2 – and these will be mostly discussed. Open problems and issues from the scientific and technological point of view are discussed, and applications in fields other than microelectronics (such as spintronics) are also mentioned.
Keywords71.55.-i; 72.80.Sk; 73.20.At; 75.47.Lx; 77.55.+f
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. Petit, A. Svane, Z. Szotek, W. M. Temmerman: First principles study of rare-earth oxides, Phys. Rev. B Google Scholar
- P. Villars, L. D. Calvert: Pearson's handbook of crystallographic data for intermetallic phases, 2 ed. (ASM International, Ohio 1991) Google Scholar
- D. G. Schlom, J. H. Haeni: A thermodynamic approach to selecting alternative gate deielctrics, MRS Bull. 27, 198 (2002) Google Scholar
- H. Schumann, I. Fedushkin, M. Hummert, G. Scarel, E. Bonera, M. Fanciulli: Crystal and molecular structure of [(η 5-c5h4sime3)2lucl]2 – suitable precursor for Lu203 films, Z. Naturforsch. 59b, 1035 (2004) Google Scholar
- I. A. Bersuker: Electronic Structure and Properties of Transition Metal Compounds (Wiley 1996) Chap. 7 Google Scholar
- J. Robertson: Electronic structure and band-offsets of high-dielectric-constant gate oxides, MRS Bull. 27, 217 (2002) Google Scholar
- T. Hattori, T. Yoshida, T. Shiraishi, K. Takahashi, H. Nohira, S. Joumori, K. Nakajima, M. Suzuki, K. Kimura, I. Kashiwagi, C. Ohshima, S. Ohmi, H. Iwai: Composition, chemical structure, and electronic band structure of rare earth oxide/Si(100) interfacial transition layer, Microel. Eng. 72, 283 (2004) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- K. Kukli, M. Ritala, T. Pilvi, T. Sajavaara, M. Leskelä, A. C. Jones, H. C. Aspinall, D. G. Gilmer, P. J. Tobin: Evaluation of a praseodymium precursor for atomic layer deposition of oxide dielectric films, Chem. Mater. 16, 5162 (2004) Google Scholar
- P. Watcher: Europium Chalcogenides: EuO, EuS, EuSe, and EuTe, in K. A. Gschneider, Jr., L. Eyring (Eds.): Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths Google Scholar
- J. Kwo, M. Hong, B. Busch, D. A. Muller, Y. J. Chabal, A. R. Kortan, J. P. Mannaerts, B. Yang, P. Ye, H. Grossmann, A. M. Sergent, K. K. Ng, J. Bude, W. H. Schulte, E. Garfunkel, T. Gustafsson: International conference on molecular beam epitaxy (cat. no. 02ex607), in (2002) p. 47 Google Scholar