Experimental Determination of the Band Offset of Rare Earth Oxides on Various Semiconductors
- 1.9k Downloads
The critical role of gate oxide in ultra-scaled devices is being investigated in terms of the properties of rare earth oxides as high dielectric constant (high-κ) materials to replace SiO2. In particular, the combination of rare earth oxides with high-mobility substrates, like Ge and GaAs, could offer the possibility to improve the interface properties. Among the different properties under investigation, the band alignment at the interface is a key issue because it affects the tunneling behavior of a device. Internal photoemission and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy are useful techniques to experimentally determine the band offset at the semiconductor/oxide interface. After a detailed description of these two methods, we present a review of the data available in the literature on the interface of different high-κ oxides on silicon. Finally, we report our measurements of the Lu2O3 band alignment on various semiconductor substrates. A conduction band offset value of 2.1 eV has been obtained by internal photoemission for Lu2O3 films grown on Si, Ge, and GaAs. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy measurements of the valence band offset were performed on Ge/Lu2O3 heterojunction. The results are in excellent agreement with those obtained using internal photoemission.
Keywords71.55.-i; 72.80.Sk; 73.20.At; 75.47.Lx; 77.55.+f
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Briggs, M. P. Seah: Pratical Surface Analysis, vol. 1 (Wiley, New York 1990) Google Scholar
- T. Hattori, T. Yoshida, T. Shiraishi, K. Takahashi, H. Nohira, S. Joumori, K. Nakajima, M. Suzuki, K. Kimura, I. Kashiwagi, C. Ohshima, S. Ohmi, H. Iwai: Composition, chemical structure, and electronic band structure of rare earth oxide/Si(100) intefacial transition layer, Microelectron. Eng. 72, 283–287 (2004) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- V. V. Afanas'ev, A. Stesmans, C. Zhao, M. Caymax, Z. M. Rittersma, J. W. Maes: Band alignment at the interface of (100)Si with (1-x)O high-κ dilectric layers, Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 072108–1–072108–3 (2005) Google Scholar
- G. Seguini, S. Spiga, E. Bonera, M. Fanciulli, A. Reyes Huamantinco, C. J. Först, C. R. Ashman, P. E. Blöchl, A. Dimoulas, G. Mavrou: Band alignment at the 2Hf2O7/Si(001) interface, Unpublished (2005) Google Scholar
- M. Perego, G. Seguini, G. Scarel, M. Fanciulli: X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy study of energy band alignment of rare earth oxides, Unpublished (2005) Google Scholar
- G. Seguini: Band alignment of 2O3 on Ge, Private Communication (2005) Google Scholar
- G. Seguini: Band alignment of 2O3 on GaAs, Private Communication (2005) Google Scholar