Deriving Architecture Specifications from KAOS Specifications: A Research Case Study
The most dificult step in the design process of a system is clearly the transition from the requirements to the architecture. Requirements obtained from the various stakeholders must be transformed into an architecture that can be understood by developers. The power plant system we use in this study was derived from [1,2]. We first created a goal-oriented requirements specification from the information available using the KAOS requirement specification language [3,4,5]. Since the description was not complete we often had to make do with inadequate data.
KeywordsFault Tolerance Component Tree Management Unit Goal Model Communication Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Coen-Porisini, A., Pradella, M., Rossi, M., Mandrioli, D.: A formal approach for designing corba based applications. In: ICSE 2000 - 22nd International Conference on on Software Engineering, Limerick, pp. 188–197. ACM Press, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Massonet, P., van Lamsweerde, A.: Formal refinement patterns for goal-driven requirements elaboration. In: FSE-4 - 4th ACM Symposium on the Foundations of Sofware Engineering, San Fransisco, pp. 179–190. ACM Press, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Letier, E., van Lamsweerde, A.: Deriving operational software specifications from system goals. In: FSE-10 - 10th ACM Symposium on the Foundations of Sofware Engineering, Charleston, pp. 119–128. ACM Press, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Brandozzi, M., Perry, D.E.: Transforming goal oriented requirement specifications into architectural prescriptions. In: Castro, K. (ed.) STRAW 2001 - From Software Requirements to Architectures, pp. 54–60 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Brandozzi, M., Perry, D.E.: Architectural prescriptions for dependable systems. In: ICSE 2002 - International Workshop on Architecting Dependable Systems, Orlando (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Brandozzi, M.: From goal oriented requirements specifications to architectural prescriptions. Master’s thesis, The University of Texas at Austin (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Jani, D., Vanderveken, D., Perry, D.: Experience report deriving architectural specification from kaos specification. Technical report (2004), Also avaiable at http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~perry/papers/R2A-ER.pdf
- 11.Manna, Z., Pnueli, A.: 3. In: The Temporal Logic of Reactive and Concurrent Systems: Specification. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar
- 12.Jani, D.: Deriving architecture specifications from goal oriented requirement specifications. Master’s thesis, The University of Texas at Austin (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Vanderveken, D.: Deriving architecture descriptions from goal oriented requirements. Master’s thesis, University of Louvain, Belgium (2004)Google Scholar