Interoperability for GIScience Education
- 314 Downloads
The advent of interoperating GISs has many implications for education. While there are certainly important issues to discuss with regards to additions to the curriculum which address the technological and institutional impacts of interoperating GISs, this paper focuses on the theme of interoperability for education. Interoperability provides a context for the development of shareable education materials which in turn allow for collaborative education in a field in which rapid technological developments are making it difficult for individual instructors to stay up-to-date with both the science and the related technologies. Such collaborative education initiatives raise many issues, both technical and institutional, but a number of existing projects provide some basis for rapid developments. An international effort to create an infrastructure for the development and distribution of interoperable, shareable GIS education materials is described.
KeywordsEducation Material Distance Learning Material Development Core Curriculum Education Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anonymous: Industry Outlook 1999, GIS melts into IT. GEOWorld 11, 40–49 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Denning, P.: Business Designs for the New University. Educom Review 31(6), 20–30 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Goodchild, M.F., Egenhofer, M.J., Fegeas, R., Kottmann, C.A. (eds.): Interoperating Geographic Information Systems. Kluwer, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Heywood, D.I., Cornelius, S.C., Cremers, P.H.: Developing a virtual campus for UNIGIS: an international distance learning programme for geographical information professional. In: anonymous (ed.) Bringing Information Technology into Education. Kluwer, Dortecht (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Heywood, D.I., Kemp, K.K., Reeve, D.E.: Interoperable education for interoperable GIS. In: Goodchild, M.F., Egenhofer, M.J., Fegeas, R., Kottmann, C.A. (eds.) Interoperating Geographic Information Systems, pp. 443–458. Kluwer, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Kemp, K.K., Reeve, D.E., Heywood, D.I.: Report of the International Workshop on Interoperability for GIScience Education. In: IGE 1998, Soesterberg, The Netherlands, May 18-20 (1998); National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis, University of California Santa BarbaraGoogle Scholar
- 10.Miller, W.: Personal communication (May 1998)Google Scholar