Advances in Design pp 27-35
Directions of Next Generation Product Development
For the last 20 years, the focus has been on product development processes and developing tools to support them, addressing not only technological but also managerial issues. While these tools have been successfully supporting product development processes in a general sense, consensus on the direction of future developments seems to be lacking. In the paper, it is argued that horizontal seamless integration of product life cycle knowledge is the key toward the next generation product development. Knowledge fusion, rather than just knowledge integration, is considered crucial. In this paper, we will try to outline the directions of the next generation product development, its tools, and necessary research efforts.
Keywordsproduct development integration knowledge fusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Tomiyama, T., 2000, “Knowledge Intensive Engineering towards Sustainable Products with High Knowledge and Service Contents,” TMCE 2000, Third Int. Symp. on Tools and Methods of Competitive Engineering, April 18–20, 2000, Delft University Press, Delft, The Netherlands, pp55–67.Google Scholar
- Sutherland, I.E., 1963, “SKETCHPAD — A Man-Machine Graphical Communication System,” Proc. of Spring Joint Computers Conf., IEEE/ACM, pp. 329.Google Scholar
- Tomiyama, T., Takeda, H., Yoshioka M., and Shimomura, Y., 2003, “Abduction for Creative Design,” 15thInt. Conf. on Design Theory and Methodology— DTM’03, Proc. 2003 ASME Design Eng. Tech. Conf. & Comp. and Info. in Eng. Conf., September 2–6, 2003, Chicago, IL, USA, Paper Number: DETC2003/DTM-48650, ISBN 0-7918-3698-3, 10 pages.Google Scholar
- http://www.incs.co.jpGoogle Scholar
- Tomiyama, T., 2003, “Knowledge Deployment: How to Use Design Knowledge,” In: Human Behaviour in Design —Individuals, Teams, Tools, U. Lindemann (ed.), Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, ISBN 3-540-40632-8, pp. 261–271.Google Scholar
- Meijer, B.R., Tomiyama, T., van der Holst, B.H.A., and van der Werff, K., 2003, “Knowledge Structuring for Function Design,” CIRP Annals 2003, Vol. 52/1, ISBN 3-905 277-39-5, pp. 89–92.Google Scholar