Distribution of sediment phosphorus fractions in hypertrophic strongly stratified Lake Verevi
- 297 Downloads
Lake Verevi is a hypertrophic and strongly stratified (partly meromictic) small temperate lake. Vertical distribution of sediment phosphorus fractions as well as iron, manganese, organic matter and calcium carbonate of the deep bottom sediment was determined. The study focused on the ecologically important layer of the sediment [<20(45)cm]. In the uppermost layers of the sediment, NaOH-NRP (organic P) dominated while HCl-RP (apatite-P) became dominant in some deeper layers below 7 cm. Extremely high concentrations of labile phosphorus fraction (NH4Cl-RP) indicated the low binding capacity of phosphorus by lake sediment. Due to sediment and hypolimnion anoxia, the internal load of phosphorus in this lake is most likely. Potentially mobile phosphorus fractions (NH4Cl-RP, BD-RP, NaOH-NRP) formed 301 kg in upper 10 cm thick sediment layer of hypolimnetic bottom sediment (40% of lake bottom area).
Key wordssediment phosphorus fractionation internal loading Estonia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boström, B., M. Jansson & C. Forsberg, 1982. Phosphorus release from lake sediments. Archiv für Hydrobiologie — Advances in Limnology 18: 5–59.Google Scholar
- Håkanson, L. & M. Jansson, 1983. Principles of Lake Sedimentology. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Kruusement, K. & J.-M. Punning, 2000. Distribution of phosphorus in the sediment core of hypertrophic Lake Ruusmäe and some palaeoecological conclusions. Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences, Biology Ecology 49: 163–176.Google Scholar
- Nõges, P., 2005. Water and nutrient mass balance of the partly meromictic temperate Lake Verevi. Hydrobiologia 547: 21–31.Google Scholar
- Nõges, P & A. Kisand, 1999. Forms and mobility of sediment phosphorus in shallow eutrophic Lake Võrtsjärv (Estonia). International Review of Hydrobiology 84: 255–270.Google Scholar
- Ott, I., T. Kõiv, P. Nõges, A. Kisand, A. Järvalt & E. Kirt, 2005a. General description of partly meromictic hypertrophic Lake Verevi, its ecological status, changes during the past eight decades and restoration problems. Hydrobiologia 547: 1–20.Google Scholar
- Psenner, R., B. Boström, M. Dinka, K. Pettersson, R. Pucsko & M. Sager, 1988. Fractionation of phosphorus in suspended matter and sediment. Archiv für Hydrobiologie — Advances in Limnology 30: 98–103.Google Scholar
- Rummi, P., T. Mägi, J. Ütsi, H. Mäemets, A. Lindpere & A. Mäemets, 1991. Põhjasetted. In: Timm, H. (ed.), State of Lake Verevi. Hydrobiological Researches 17: 22–33. (Bottom sediments. In Estonian).Google Scholar