Application of Vibration Control in Steel Industries
In steel industry, the high quality requirements of rolled products, in particular the restrictive thickness tolerances, mean a challenging task also from a control point of view. One of the key problems in this context are vibrations of the rolling plant. Therefore, this contribution is concerned with the active rejection of two common vibration problems, namely vibrations of so-called wrapper rolls and the chatter phenomenon. A mathematical model based on physical considerations taking into account the essential nonlinearities of the plant provides the basis for the controller design. For vibration rejection two nonlinear control concepts based on energy considerations and the theory of differential flatness are presented.
Key wordssteel industry model-based control nonlinear control vibration rejection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bland, D.R., Ford, H. and Ellis, F. (1951). Cold rolling with strip tension. part I. Journal of Iron and Steel Institute, pp. 57–72.Google Scholar
- Fuchshumer, S., Schlacher, K. and Keintzel, G. (2004). A novel non-circular arc rollgap model, designed from the control point of view. In Proc. MMM04, Nancy, France, to appear.Google Scholar
- Grabmair, G., Schlacher, K. and Keintzel, G. (2004). Energy-based control of hydraulic actuators in steel rolling mills. In Proc. MMM04, Nancy, France, to appear.Google Scholar
- Grabmair, G., Schlacher, K. and Kugi, A. (2003). Geometric energy based analysis and controller design of hydraulic actuators applied in rolling mills. In Proc. ECC2003.Google Scholar
- Holl, J., Schlacher, K. and Keintzel, G. (2004a). Active rejection of chatter-vibrations in steel rolling mills. In Proc. Third European Conference on Structural Control, Vienna, Austria, to appear.Google Scholar
- Holl, J., Schlacher, K. and Keintzel, G. (2004b). Chatter rejection by nonlinear control in steel rolling mills. In Proc. MMM04, Nancy, France, to appear.Google Scholar
- Isidori, A. (1995). Nonlinear Control Systems, 3rd edition, Springer.Google Scholar
- Khalil, H. (2002). Nonlinear Systems, 3rd edition. Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Kugi, A. (2001). Nonlinear Control Based on Physical Models. Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences 260. Springer.Google Scholar
- Rudolph, J. (2003). Flatness Based Control of Distributed Parameter Systems. Shaker.Google Scholar
- Vidyasagar, M. (1993). Nonlinear Systems Analysis, 2nd edition. Prentice Hall.Google Scholar