Internal Velocity Feedback for Stabilisation of Inertial Actuators for Active Vibration Control
Collocated direct velocity feedback with point force actuators mounted on structures generates active damping and theoretically is unconditionally stable. When inertial actuators are used to generate the control force the actuator becomes unstable even for moderate velocity feedback gains. In this study an internal, relative velocity sensor is used to implement an additional feedback loop in a lightweight, electrodynamic, inertial actuator. It is found that when the internal loop is used in addition to the conventional external velocity feedback loop there is an ideal internal velocity feedback gain for which maximum vibration reduction is achieved through the external velocity feedback loop. Experiments and measurements are compared at the model problem of an inertial actuator attached to a clamped plate.
Key wordsactive vibration control electrodynamic actuator double coil actuator inertial actuator velocity feedback internal damping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Inman, D.J., chapter 20 in: Mechanics and Control of Large Structures, edited by J.L. Junkins, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1990, pp. 507–533.Google Scholar
- 4.Paulitsch, C., Gardonio, P., Elliott, S.J., Sas, P. and Boonen, R., Design of a lightweight, electrodynamic, inertial actuator with integrated velocity sensor for active vibration control of a thin lightly-damped panel, in: Proceedings of ISMA 2004, 2004, pp. 239–253.Google Scholar
- 5.Paulitsch, C., Gardonio, P. and Elliott, S.J., Active vibration damping using a self-sensing electrodynamic actuator, in: Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5386, 2004, pp. 282–293.Google Scholar
- 6.Paulitsch, C., Gardonio, P. and Elliott, S.J., Active vibration damping using an electrodynamic actuator with internal velocity sensor, in: Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5760, 2005, pp. 305–316, in print.Google Scholar
- 7.Gardonio, P. and Brennan, M.J., chapter 9 in: Advanced Applications in Noise and Vibration, edited by F. Fahy and J. Walker, E & FN Spon, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.Inan, U.S. and Inan, A.S., Engineering Electromagnetics, Addison-Wesley, 1998.Google Scholar