Global Bifurcations of Nonlinear Thermoelastic Microbeams Subject to Electrodynamic Actuation
- 1.2k Downloads
In this paper we formulate a nonlinear boundary-value problem describing the thermoelastic dynamics of a microbeam that is subject to a localized electrodynamic actuation and is operating in an ultra-high vacuum environment. A modal Galerkin projection reveals a planar homoclinic structure describing escape from a potential well that is perturbed by both thermoelastic damping and modulated periodic actuation. This structure is investigated via Melnikov analysis to shed light on possible existence of global bifurcations and chaotic transients.
Key wordsThermoelastic microbeams electrodynamic actuation global bifurcation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.S. Hung and S.D. Senturia, IEEE J. MEMS, 8, 280–289, 1999.Google Scholar
- A.H. Nayfeh, Nonlinear Interactions, Wiley, 2000.Google Scholar
- L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz, Theory of Elasticity, Pergamon, 1959.Google Scholar
- O. Gottlieb and A.R.C. Champneys, preprint, 2004.Google Scholar
- S.W. Shaw, J. Sound Vib., 124, 329–343, 1988.Google Scholar
- J. Guckenheimer and P.J. Holmes, Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical Systems and Bifurcations of Vector Fields, Springer, 1983.Google Scholar