The Jeep Problem, searching for the best strategy with a genetic algorithm
In the Jeep Problem, the goal is to maximize the distance the jeep can penetrate into the desert using a given quantity of fuel. The jeep must not take all the fuel from the base at once. The jeep is allowed to go forward, unload some fuel, and then return to its base using the fuel remaining in its tank. At the base, it may refuel and set out again. When it reaches the fuel it has stored previously, it may use it to fill up its tank. This paper describes an attempt of solving this problem (finding the best strategy for the jeep) with a genetic algorithm. Experiments with both binary and real-coded GAs were performed.
KeywordsThe jeep problem optimization genetic algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. W. R. Ball and H. S. M. Coxeter. Mathematical Recreations and Essays. Dover, New York, USA, 13 edition, 1987.Google Scholar
- R. Bourisli and D. A. Kaminski. Solving fluid flow problems using a real-coded genetic algorithm with uniform refinement. Internet PDF document, http://raed.freewebpageorg.GAPF.pdf. Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA.Google Scholar
- L. J. Eshelman, R. A. Caruana, and J. D. Schaffer. Biases in the crossover landscape. In J. D. Schaffer, editor, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithms. Morgan Kaufmann, 1989.Google Scholar
- Melanie Mitchell. Introduction to Genetic Algorithms. The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 1998. A Bradford Book.Google Scholar
- Eric W. Weisstein. Euler-mascheroni constant. Published by Wolfram Research, 1999. From Math World-A Wolfram Web Resource, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-MascheroniConstant.html.Google Scholar
- Eric W. Weisstein. Jeep problem. Published by Wolfram Research, 1999. From Math World-A Wolfram Web Resource, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/JeepProblem.html.Google Scholar
- Eric W. Weisstein. Polygamma function. Published by Wolfram Research, 1999. From Math World-A Wolfram Web Resource, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PolygammaFunction.html.Google Scholar