Interactive Real-time Image Analysis System for Distant Operation
This paper reports on the development and implementation of an integrated and interactive system for cell analysis featuring remote operation and real-time analysis for generating analytical data from microscopic images. The system consists of a number of image processing modules implemented in a virtual instrumentation environment, combined with novel techniques developed for thinning and local edge-gap filling in the cell image segmentation process. These approaches, integrated with advances in networking, have been initially applied to viral feature analysis in SARS-CoV microscopy. Real-time operation through the user-interface of the proposed system generates quantitative results for remote clients. The rapidity and viability of operation permit the investigation of mutant viral agents on the basis of their morphological cell features.
KeywordsRemote analysis cell image analysis boundary extraction electron microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hazelton P.R. and Gelderblom H.R., “Electron microscopy for rapid diagnosis of infectious agents in emergent situations,” Emerging Infectious Diseases 9, pp. 294–303, 2003.Google Scholar
- Murray K., Selleck P. and et.al., “A morbillivirus that caused fatal disease in horses and humans,” Science 268, pp. 94–97, 1995.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization, “Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS),” [online] Last accessed 12.07.2003, URL: http://www.who.int/csr/sars/en/index.html.Google Scholar
- Cornsweet T.N., “Visual Perception,” Academic Press, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- Northern Michigan University, “Coronavirus,” [online] Last accessed 10.06.2003, URL: http://www-instruct.nmu.edu/cls/lriipi/micro/coronavirus.jpgGoogle Scholar
- National Instruments, “LabVIEW measurement manual,” National Instruments, Austin, Texas, USA, 2000.Google Scholar
- Serra J., “Image analysis and mathematical morphology,” Academic Press, London, 1982.Google Scholar
- Pathegama M.P. and Göl Ö., “An artificial neural process for edge-linking in biological cell image analysis,” Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Neural Networks and Artificial Intelligence ICNNAI'2003, Minsk, 2003.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Update: Review panel concludes that laboratory was source of SARS-CoV infection in Singapore patient,” [online] Last accessed 09.10.2003, URL: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/singapore29sep2003.htmGoogle Scholar