Hybrid MIP-CP Techniques to Solve a Multi-Machine Assignment and Scheduling Problem in Xpress-CP
In this paper we introduce Xpress-CP—a Constraint Programming tool-and demonstrate its modeling and solving capabilities. We consider the multi-machine assignment and scheduling problem (Hooker et al. (1999)), where jobs, with release dates and deadlines, have to be processed on parallel unrelated machines (where processing times depend on machine assignment). Given a job/machine assignment cost matrix, the objective is to minimize the total cost while keeping all machine schedules feasible. We show that by deriving the benefits of MIP and CP techniques simultaneously this problem can be modeled and solved efficiently in a hybrid fashion using Xpress Optimization suite.
KeywordsSchedule Problem Assignment Problem Constraint Programming Master Problem Total Processing Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aggoun, A. and Vazacopoulos, A. 2004. Solving Sports Scheduling and Time tabling Problems with Constraint Programming, in Economics, Management and Optimization in Sports, Edited by S. Butenko, J. Gil-Lafuente and P.M. Pardalos, Springer.Google Scholar
- Baptiste, P., Le Pape, C. and Nuijten, W. 2001. Constraint Based Scheduling. Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Bockmayr, A. and Kasper, T. 2003. Branch-and-infer: A framework for combining CP and IP. In Constraint and Integer Programming (Ed. M. Milano), Chapter 3, 59–87, Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Bockmayr, A. and Hooker, J.N. 2003. Constraint programming. In Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science: Discrete Optimization (Eds. K. Aardal, G. Nemhauser, and R. Weismantel), Elsevier, To appear.Google Scholar
- Bockmayr, A. and Pisaruk, N. 2003. Detecting Infeasibility and Generating Cuts for MIP using CP. 5th International Workshop on Integration of AI and OR Techniques in Constraint Programming for Combinatorial Optimization Problems, CPAIOR’03, Montreal, May 2003.Google Scholar
- Brucker, P. 2001. Scheduling Algorithms. Third Edition, Springer.Google Scholar
- Colombani, Y and Heipcke, S. 2002. Mosel: An Overview. May 2002, available at http://www.dashoptimization.com/home/downloads/pdf/mosel.pdf.Google Scholar
- Easton, K., Nemhauser, G. and Trick, M. 2003. CP Based Branch-and-Price. In Constraint and Integer Programming (Ed. M. Milano), Chapter 7, 207–231, Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Hooker, J.N., Ottosson, G., Thorsteinsson, E.S. and Kim, H.J. 1999. On integrating constraint propagation and linear programming for combinatorial optimization. Proceedings of the Sixteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-99), AAAI, The AAAI Press/MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. 136–141.Google Scholar
- Peter, B. 2001. Scheduling Algorithms. Springer Lehrbuch.Google Scholar
- Pinedo, M. and Chao, X. 1998. Operations Scheduling with Applications in Manufacturing and services. McGraw-Hill/Irwin.Google Scholar
- Sadykov, R. and Wolsey, L. 2003. Integer programming and constraint programming in solving a multi-machine assignment scheduling problem with deadlines and release dates. CORE discussion paper, Nov 2003.Google Scholar