A Generic Object-Oriented Tabu Search Framework
Presently, most tabu search designers devise their applications without considering the potential of design and code reuse, which consequently prolong the development of subsequent applications. In this paper, we propose a software solution known as Tabu Search Framework (TSF), which is a generic C++ software framework for tabu search implementation. The framework excels in code recycling through the use of a well- designed set of generic abstract classes that clearly define their collaborative roles in the algorithm. Additionally, the framework incorporates a centralized process and control mechanism that enhances the search with intelligence. This results in a generic framework that is capable of solving a wide range of combinatorial optimization problems using various tabu search techniques and adaptive strategies. The applications of TSF are demonstrated on the implementation of two NP-hard problems, the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows (VRPTW) and Quadratic Assignment Problem (QAP). We show that TSF is able to obtain quality solutions within reasonable implementation as well as computation time.
Key wordsTabu Search software framework reusability combinatorial optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ahuja et al., 2002]
- [Burkard et al., 1991]
- [Fink and Voß, 2002]A. Fink, S. Voß: HotFrame: A Heuristic Optimization Framework. In: S. Voß, D.L. Woodruff (Eds.), Optimization Software Class Libraries, Kluwer, Boston, 81–154, 2002.Google Scholar
- [Glover and Laguna, 1997]F. Glover and M. Laguna, Tabu Search, Reading, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston/Dorderecht/London, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Gaspero and Schaerf, 2001]L. Di Gaspero and A. Schaerf, EasyLocal++: An object-oriented framework for flexible design of local search algorithms, Reading, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.Google Scholar
- [Harder, 2003]R. Harder, IBM OpenTS Homepage, see http://opents.iharder.net, 2003.Google Scholar
- [ILOG, 2003]ILOG S.A. www.ilog.com, 2003.Google Scholar
- [Lau et al., 2004]H. C. Lau, M. K. Lim, W. C. Wan and S. Halim. A Development Framework for Rapid Meta-heuristics Hybridization, Proc. 28th Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC), 362–367, Hong Kong, 2004.Google Scholar
- [Michel and Hentenryck, 1999]
- [Solomon, 1987]