A Branch-and-Cut to the Point-to-Point Connection Problem on Multicast Networks
In multicast routing, one of the basic problems consists of sending data from a set of sources to a set of destinations with minimum cost. A formalization of this problem using graph theory is given by the nonfixed Point-to-Point Connection (PPC) Problem. The optimization version of this problem is known to be NP-hard, and it can be also applied in areas such as circuit switching and VLSI design. We present a branch-and-cut approach to solve the PPC. Initially we describe a 0–1 integer programming formulation. Then, we prove that some of the constraints in this formulation are facet defining inequalities. Other valid inequalities, based on partitions of the set of vertices in the graph are also investigated. The proposed branch-and-cut algorithm is based on the previously discussed inequalities. Computational results of the branch-and-cut algorithm are presented, with comparisons to existing heuristic and approximation algorithms. The results show the effectiveness of the branch-and-cut method for instances of moderate size.
Key wordscombinatorial optimization point-to-point connection integer programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.K. Ahuja, T.L. Magnanti, and J.B. Orlin. Network Flows: theory, algorithms and applications. Prentice Hall, Eaglewood Cliffs, 1993.Google Scholar
- G.V. Chockler, Nabil Huleihel, Idit Keidar, and Danny Dolev. Multimedia multicast transport service for groupware. In TINA Conference on the Convergence of Telecommunications and Distributed Computing Technologies, pages 43–54, 1996.Google Scholar
- H. Eriksson. MBONE: the multicast backbone. Communications of ACM, 37(8), 1994.Google Scholar
- C.E. Ferreira and Y. Wakabayashi. Combinatória Poliédrica e Planos-de-Corte Facials, volume 10, Escola de Computação, Unicamp. Instituto de Computação, Unicamp, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1996.Google Scholar
- M.X. Goemans and D.P. Williamson. A general Approximation Technique for Constrained Forest Problems. SIAM J. Comp., 24, 1995.Google Scholar
- F.C. Gomes, C.N. Meneses, A.G. Lima, and C.A.S. Oliveira. Asynchronous organizations for solving the point-to-point connection problem. In Proceedings of International Conference on Multi-Agent Systems (ICMAS-98), IEEE Computer Society, pages 144–149, 1998.Google Scholar
- L. Han and N. Shahmehri. Secure multicast software delivery. In IEEE 9 th International Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WET ICE’ 00), pages 207–212, 2000.Google Scholar
- ILOG Inc. ILOG CPLEX 7.0 user’s manual. Manual, 2000.Google Scholar
- J. Mitchell. Branch-and-cut methods for combinatorial optimisation problems. In P. M. Pardalos and M. G. C. Resende, editors, Handbook of Applied Optimization. Oxford University Press, 2002.Google Scholar
- M. Natu and S.C. Fang. Network Loading and Connection Problems. Technical Report 308, North Carolina State University, 1995.Google Scholar