Variational Control Problems with Constraints Via Exact Penalization
The Exact Penalization approach to solving constrained problems of Calculus of Variations described in  is extended to the case of variational problems where the functional and the constraints contain a control function. The constraints are of both the equality- and inequality-type constraints. The initial constrained problem is reduced to an unconstrained one. The related unconstrained problem is essentially nonsmooth. Necessary optimality conditions are derived.
Key wordsCalculus of Variations Equality- and Inequality-type Constraints Necessary optimality conditions Penalty Function Exact Penalty Function Nonsmooth Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Demyanov V.F. (1992), Nonsmooth problems in Calculus of Variations. In Lecture Notes in Economics and Math. Systems, v. 382. Advances in Optimization. Eds. W. Oettli, D. Pallaschke, pp. 227–238. Berlin, Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Demyanov V.F. (1992a), Calculus of Variations in nonsmooth presentation. In Nonsmooth Optimization: Methods and Applications. Ed. F. Giannessi, pp. 76–91. Singapore, Gordon and Breach.Google Scholar
- Demyanov V.F. (1994), Exact penalty functions in nonsmooth optimization problems. Vestnik of St. Petersburg University, ser. 1, issue 4 (No. 22), pp. 21–27.Google Scholar
- Demyanov V.F. (2000), Conditions for an extremum and variational problems. St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg University Press.Google Scholar
- Demyanov V.F. (2003) Constrained problems of Calculus of Variations via Penalization Technique. In: Equilibrium Problems and Variational Models. A. Maugeri, F. Giannessi (Eds.), pp. 79–108. Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Di Pillo G., Facchinei F. (1989), Exact penalty functions for nondifferentiable programming problems. In Nonsmooth Optimization and Related Topics. Eds. F.H. Clarke, V.F. Demyanov and F. Giannessi, pp. 89–107. New York, Plenum.Google Scholar
- Eremin I.I. (1966), On the penalty method in convex programming. In Abstracts of ICM-66. Section 14., Moscow, 1966.Google Scholar
- Fletcher R. (1983), Penalty functions. In Mathematical programming: the state of the art. (Eds. A. Bachen, M. Grötschel, B. Korte), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 87–114.Google Scholar