Steiner Trees in Industry
Open problems on the Steiner ratio, such as Chung-Gilbert’s conjecture, Graham-Hwang’s conjecture, and Cielick’s conjecture, etc..
Find better approximation for network Steiner trees and establish an explicit lower bound for the approximation performance ratio of network Steiner trees.
Close the gap between the lower bound and the upper bound for the approximation performance ratio of Steiner minimum arborescence.
Find more efficient approximation algorithms for on-line and dynamic Steiner minimum trees and various Steiner tree packing problems.
Find good approximation algorithms for multi-weighted Steiner trees and multiphase Steiner trees and study close relationship between multi-weighted Steiner trees, multiphase Steiner trees, and phylogenetic trees.
Make clear whether there exists a polynomial-time approximation scheme for class Steiner tree in the special case with the real world background and highway interconnection problem.
Close the gap between the lower bound and the upper bound for the approximation performance ratio of bottleneck Steiner tree in the Euclidean plane and make clear whether there exists a polynomial-time approximation scheme for the Steiner tree with minimum number of Steiner points and bounded edge-length.
Implement efficient approximation algorithms to meet the requests from industries.
We believe that to attack these new and old open problems new techniques are still required and the Steiner tree is still an attractive topic for researchers in combinatorial optimization and computer science.
KeywordsMinimum Span Tree Steiner Tree Steiner Point Steiner Tree Problem Minkowski Plane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Arora , Polynomial time approximation schemes for Euclidean TSP and other geometric problems, Proceedings of 37th FOCS, 1996, pp. 2–12.Google Scholar
- R.S. Booth , The Steiner ratio for five points, Discrete and Computational Geometry.Google Scholar
- A. Borchers and D.-Z. Du , The k-Steiner ratio in graphs, in Proceedings of 27th STOC.Google Scholar
- P.J. Campbell , Mathematics, Science and the Future, 1992 Year Book, Encyclopaedia, Britannica, Inc., London, 373–376.Google Scholar
- L.L. Cavalli-Sforza and A.W. Edwards , Phylogenetic analysis: models and estimation procedures, Am. J. Human Genetics, 19, 233–257.Google Scholar
- D. Chen, D.-Z. Du, X. Hu, G.-H. Lin, L. Wang, and G. Xue , Approximations for Steiner trees with minimum number of Steiner points, accepted by Journal of Global Optimization.Google Scholar
- D. Cieslik , The Steiner ratio of Banach-Minkowski planes, Contemporary Methods in Graph Theory (ed. R. Bodendiek), BI-Wissenschatteverlag, Mannheim, 231–248.Google Scholar
- D. Cieslik , Steiner Minimal Trees, Kluwer.Google Scholar
- B.A. Cipra , In math, less is more — up to a point, Science, 1081–1082.Google Scholar
- B.A. Cipra , Euclidean geometry alive and well in the computer age, SIAM News, 24:1.Google Scholar
- D.-Z. Du, L.-Q. Pan, and M.-T. Shing , Minimum edge length guillotine rectangular partition, Report 02418-86, Math. Sci. Res. Inst., Univ. California, Berkeley, CA 1986.Google Scholar
- D.Z. Du, Y. Zhang, and Q. Feng , On better heuristic for euclidean Steiner minimum trees, Proceedings 32nd FOCS, 431–439.Google Scholar
- F.K. Hwang , Flag down but sail up, Mathematical Dissemination 12:2, 5–7.Google Scholar
- F.K. Hwang, D.S. Rechards, and P. Winter , Steiner tree problems North-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- A. Iwainsky , Optimal trees-a short overview on problem formulations, in A. Iwainsky (ed.) Optimization of Connections Structures in Graphs, CICIP, East Berlin, GDR, 121–133.Google Scholar
- T. Jiang, E.L. Lawler, and L. Wang , Aligning sequences via an evolutionary tree: complexity and approximation, Proceedings of 26th STOC.Google Scholar
- R.M. Karp , Reducibility among combinatorial problems, in R.E. Miller and J.W. Tatcher (ed.), Complexity of Computer Computation, Plenum Press, New York, 85–103.Google Scholar
- G. Kolata , Solution to old puzzle: how short a shortcut? New York Times October 30.Google Scholar
- P. Korthonen , An algorithm for transforming a spanning tree into a Steiner tree, Survey of Mathematical Programming (2), North-Holland, 349–357.Google Scholar
- C.-S. Li, F.F. Tong, C.J. Georgiou and M. Chen , Gain equalization in metropolitan and wide area optical networks using optical amplifiers, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM’ 94, pp. 130–137, June.Google Scholar
- B. Lu, J. Gu, X. Hu, and E. Shragowitz , Wire segmenting for buffer insertion based on RSTP-MSP, accepted by Theoretical Computer Science.Google Scholar
- B. Lu and L. Ruan , Polynomial-time approximation scheme for rectilinear Steiner arborescence problem, Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, 357–363.Google Scholar
- M.S. Manase, L.A. McGeoch, and D.D. Sleator , Competitive algorithms for on-line problems, Proc. of 20th STOC, Chacago.Google Scholar
- J. S. B. Mitchell , Guillotine subdivisions approximate polygonal subdivisions: A simple new method for the geometric k-MST problem, Proc. 7th ACM-SIAM Sympos. Discrete Algorithms, 402–408.Google Scholar
- J. S. B. Mitchell , Guillotine subdivisions approximate polygonal subdivisions: Part III-Faster polynomial-time approximation scheme for geometric network optimization,” Proc. ninth Canadian conference on computational geometry, 229–232.Google Scholar
- I. Peterson , Proven path for limiting shortest shortcut, Science News, December 22 & 29, 389.Google Scholar
- W.R. Pulleyblank , Two Steiner tree packing problems, 27th STOC, pp.383–387.Google Scholar
- B. Ramamurthy, J. Iness and B. Mukherjee , Minimizing the number of optical amplifiers needed to support a multi-wavelength optical LAN/MAN, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM’ 97, pp. 261–268, April.Google Scholar
- A. Sangalli , Mathematicians learn how to join the dots, New Scientists April, 22.Google Scholar
- P. Schreiber , On the history of the so-called Steiner weber problem, Wiss. Z. Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Univ. Greifswald, Math.-nat.wiss. Reihe, 35, no.3.Google Scholar
- W. Shi and C. Su , The rectilinear Steiner arborescence problem is NP-complete, Proc. 11th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA).Google Scholar
- J.M. Smith and J.S. Liebman , Steiner trees, Steiner circuits and interference problem in building design, Engineering Optimization, 4, 15–36.Google Scholar
- W.D. Smith , How to find Steiner minimal trees in Euclidean d-space, Algorithmica, 7.Google Scholar
- I. Stewart , Trees, telephones and tiles, New Scientist 16 (1991) 26–29.Google Scholar
- L. Wang and D.-Z. Du , Approximations for a Bottleneck Steiner Tree Problem, submitted for publication.Google Scholar