Parallelization of the Data Encryption Standard (DES) algorithm
In this paper, we present the results of parallelizing the Data Encryption Standard (DES) algorithm. The data dependence analysis of the loop iterations was applied in order to parallelize this algorithm. The OpenMP standard is used for presenting a parallel algorithm. The classic DES algorithm can be divided into parallelizable and unparallelizable parts. As a result of our experiments it was stated that most of the “for” loops of the DES algorithm are well suitable for parallelization. The experiments with the parallel part of the algorithm against the sequential one using two- processors machine has shown that the speed-up is about 1.95. However, the rest code, containing I/O functions, is unparallelizable that reduces the speed-up of the parallel program running on multiprocessor computers.
Key wordscryptography Data Encryption Standard OpenMP API data dependence analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruce Schneier, 1995. ‘Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C, Second Edition’, John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- OpenMP C and C++ Application Program Interface. Ver.2.0. 2002Google Scholar
- http://www.openmp.org/Google Scholar
- W. Kelly, V. Maslov, W. Pugh, E. Rosser, T. Shpeisman, D. Wonnacott, 1996. ‘New User Interface for Petit and Other Extensions. User Guide.’Google Scholar
- http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/omega/Google Scholar
- D. I. Moldovan, 1993. ‘Parallel Processing. From Applications to Systems’, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc.Google Scholar
- R. Allen, K. Kennedy, 2001. ‘Optimizing compilers for modern architectures: A Dependence-based Approach’, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc.Google Scholar