Arterial Wall Characteristics in Patients with Adamantiades-Behçet’s Disease
Endothelial vasomotor dysfunction was observed in patients with ABD in both active and inactive stages of the disease, thus brachial artery flow-mediated dilation test seems unable to detect activity of the disease. No sign of peripheral atherosclerosis as assessed by IMT was observed in our study group. Arterial stiffness was reduced in patients with active disease, and AI could be useful in the future for detecting ABD activity; more studies are needed on this issue. Our study is being continued in order to increase the number of our study objects and validate the use of AI and FMD for the control of the activity of ABD, and prediction of vascular complications, respectively.
KeywordsNitric Oxide Arterial Stiffness Brachial Artery Vascular Complication Augmentation Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.International Study Group for Behçet’s disease, 1990, Criteria for diagnosis of Behçet’s disease. Lancet 335: 1078–1080.Google Scholar
- 8.O’Rourk, M.F., and Gallagher, D.E., 1996, Pulse wave analysis. J. Hypertens. 14(suppl. 5): S147–S157.Google Scholar
- 9.Chen, C.H., Nevis, E., Fectis, B., et al., 1999, Estimation of central pressure waveform by mathematical trasnformation of radial tonometry. Circulation 95: 1827–1836.Google Scholar
- 11.Salonen, J.T., and Salonen, R., 1993, Ultrasonographically assesed carotid morphology and the risk of coronary heart disease. Arterioscler. Thromb. 13: 1404–1411.Google Scholar
- 14.Everklioglu, C., Turkoz, Y., Er, H., et al., 2002, Increased nitric oxide production in patients with Behçet’s disease: is it a new activity marker. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 46: 50–54.Google Scholar
- 15.Kiraz, S., Esrtenli, I., Calguneri, M., et al., 2002, Interactions of nitric oxide and superoxide didmutase in Behçet’s disease. Clin. Exp. Rheumtol. 19: S25–29.Google Scholar
- 17.Cooke, J.P., and Creager, M.A., 2000, Hypercholesterolemia, atherosclerosis, and the NO synthase pathway. In Vascular endothelium in human physiology and pathophysiology, (P.J.T. Vallance, and D.J. Webb, eds.), Harwood Academic Publishers, New York, p. 147Google Scholar
- 18.Özoran, K., Dugan, N., Görler, A., et al., 1992, Plasma von Willebrand factor, tissue plasminogen activator, plasminogen activator inhibitor, and antithrombin III levels in Behçet’s disease. Scand. J. Reumatol. 24: 376–382.Google Scholar
- Hampton, K.K., Chamberlain, M.A., Menon, D.K., et al., 1991, Coagulation and fibrinolytic activity in Behçet’s disease. Thromb. Heamost. 66:292–294.Google Scholar