Clearly, complex aphthosis alone does not constitute BD. Furthermore, the patient with complex aphthosis should be evaluated for associated conditions or diseases, some of which are “correctable causes” of RAS. The oral lesions of BD are aphthous in nature and are best classified as complex aphthosis. While some patients with complex aphthosis will develop BD, some will remain as sufferers of complex aphthosis for years until a cause is identified or the disease enters a spontaneous or therapeutically induced remission. Complex aphthosis is the major pseudo-Behçet’s disease encountered in a referral practice22.
KeywordsOral Lesion Erythema Multiforme Aphthous Ulcer Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis Inflammatory Ocular Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lee, S., Bang, D., Lee, E.-S., et al., 2001, Diagnosis of Behçet’s disease. In Behçet’s disease (S. Lee, D. Bang, E.-S. Lee, and S. Sohn, eds.), Springer, Berlin, pp. 51–57.Google Scholar
- 7.Rogers, R.S., III, 1998, Recurrent aphthous stomatitis: Clinical characteristics and associated systemic disorders. Sem. Cutan. Med. Surg. 16: 278–283.Google Scholar
- 8.Schreiner, D.T., and Jorizzo, J.L., 1987, Behçet’s disease and complex aphthosis. Dermatol. Clin. 5: 760–778.Google Scholar
- 12.Rogers, R.S., III, and Hutton, K.P., 1986, Screening for hematinic deficiencies in otherwise healthy patients with recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Aust. J. Dermatol. 27: 98–103.Google Scholar
- 15.DuBois, A., and van den Berghe, L., 1948, Diseases of the warm climates: Their clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment. Grune & Stratton, New York, p. 380.Google Scholar
- 19.Lee, S., Bang, D., Lee, E.-S., et al., 2001, Clinical manifestations. In Behçet’s disease (S. Lee, D. Bang, E.-S. Lee, and S. Sohn, eds.), Springer, Berlin, pp. 19–50.Google Scholar
- 20.Levine, J.A., and O’Duffy, J.D., 1993, Pseudo Behçet’s syndrome. In Behçet’s disease (B. Weshsler, and P. Godeau, eds.), Behçet’s disease, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, pp. 295–298.Google Scholar
- 21.Rogers, R.S., III, and O’Duffy, J.D., 1984, Behçet’s syndrome and treatment with colchicine. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 4: 483–484.Google Scholar
- 22.Rogers, R.S. III, 2000, Pseudo Behcet’s disease. In Behçet’s Disease (D. Bang, E.-S Lee, and S. Lee, eds.), Design Mecca Publishing, Seoul, pp. 116–119.Google Scholar