The Structure of the CF1 Part of the ATP-Synthase Complex from Chloroplasts
The proton ATP synthase consists of a membrane integratedpart, Fo, and a hydrophilic part, F1. F1. is composed of five different subunits: α, β, γ δ, and ε. This chapter focuses on the chloroplast F1 (CF1) structure and discusses the overall shape and dimensions of CF1, shape and size of the various subunits, subunit interactions and conformational changes in the subunit positions related to catalysis. Structural data originate mainly from X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. Recently, the structure of F1 from beef heart mitochondria has been determined at 2.8 Å and this structure, although not fully identical to CF1, can be taken as a blueprint for models of the CF1 structure.
KeywordsLarge Subunit Small Subunit Cryoelectron Microscopy Bovine Heart Mitochondrion Beef Heart Mitochondrion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banchet M, Ysern X, Hullihen J, Pedersen PL and Amzel, LM (1991) Mitochondrial ATP synthase. Quaternary structure of the F1 moiety at 3.6 Å determined by X-ray diffraction. J Biol Chem 266: 21197–21201Google Scholar
- Boekema EJ and Böttcher B (1992) The structure of ATP synthase from chloroplasts. Conformational changes of CF1 studied by electron microscopy. Biochim Biophys Acta 1098: 131–143Google Scholar
- Boekema E J, Schmidt G, Gräber P and Berden JA (1988) Structure of the ATP-synthase from chloroplasts and mitochondria by electron microscopy. Zeitschrift Naturforsch. 43c: 219–225Google Scholar
- Boekema EJ, Xiao J, and McCarty RE (1990) Structure of the ATP synthase from chloroplasts studied by electron microscopy. Localization of the small subunits. Biochim Biophys Acta 1020: 49–56Google Scholar
- Boekema EJ, Harris D, Böttcher B and Gräber P (1992) The structure of the ATP-synthase from chloroplasts. In: Murata N (ed) Research in Photosynthesis, Vol 2, pp 645–652. Kluwer Academic Publishers, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Hoesche JA and Berzborn R (1993) Primary structure, deduced from cDNA, secondary structure analysis and conclusions concerning interaction surfaces of the δ subunit of the photosynthetic ATP-synthase (E.C. 18.104.22.168) from millet (Sorghum bicolor) and maize (Zea mays). Biochim Biophys Acta 1142: 293–305PubMedGoogle Scholar
- McCarty, RE and Hammes GG (1987) Molecular architecture of chloroplast coupling factor 1. Trends Biol Sci 12: 234–237Google Scholar