Electron Transfer and Energy Transduction in Photosynthesis: An Overview
The intent of this book is to provide readers with a comprehensive view of the activities, structure, and molecular biology of the components of the photosynthetic apparatus in chloroplast thylakoid membranes. The sections that follow provide coverage of major topics that represent foci of active research investigations. In this introductory chapter we provide a brief overview of thylakoid properties and a guide to our readers to appropriate chapters in the following sections of this book, where our colleagues have provided in-depth coverage of the topics outlined in this overview chapter. We outline the activities of the two photoreactions (Photosystems I and II) and discuss the electron carriers that mediate transfer of electrons between these light-driven enzyme systems. Thylakoid energy transduction is described in terms of the origins of the protonmotive force and its subsequent utilization by the chloroplast ATP synthase, CF1 Finally, we provide some comments on the molecular biology and evolution of the eukaryotic photosynthetic apparatus.
KeywordsThylakoid Membrane Electron Transfer Reaction Oxygenic Photosynthesis Bacterial Reaction Center Protonmotive Force
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andreasson LE and Vanngard T (1988) Electron transport in Photosystems I and II. Ann Rev Plant Physiol Plant Mol Biol 39: 379–411Google Scholar
- Bryant DA (ed) (1994) The Molecular Biology of Cyanobacteria. 916 pp. Kluwer Academic Publishers, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Crofts, AR and Wraight C (1983) The electrochemical domain of photosynthesis. Biochim Biophys Acta 726: 149–183Google Scholar
- Hosler JP and Yocum CF (1985) Evidence for two cyclic photophosphorylation reactions concurrent with ferredoxin-catalyzed non-cyclic electron transport. Biochim Biophys Acta 808: 21–31Google Scholar
- Karplus PA and Bruns CM (1994) Structure-function relations for ferredoxin reductase. J Bioenerg Biomemb 26: 89–99Google Scholar
- Kühlbrandt W, Wang DN and Fujiyoshi Y (1994) Atomic model of plant light-harvesting complex. Nature 350: 130–134Google Scholar
- Ort DR (1986) Energy transduction in oxygenic photosynthesis: An overview of structure and mechanism. In: Staehelin LA and Arntzen C (eds) Photosynthesis III: Photosynthetic Membranes and Light Harvesting Systems, pp 143–196. Springer Verlag, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- van Grondelle R, Dekker JP, Gillbro T and Sundstrom V (1994) Energy transfer and trapping in photosynthesis. Biochim Biophys Acta 1187: 1–66Google Scholar
- Vermaas WFJ (1993) Molecular-biological approaches to analyze Photosystem II. Ann Rev Plant Physiol and Plant Mol Biol 44: 457–482Google Scholar
- Webb MS and Green BR (1991) Biochemical and biophysical properties of thylakoid acyl lipids. Biochim Biophys Acta 1060: 133–158Google Scholar
- Whitmarsh J (1986) Mobile electron carriers in thylakoids. In: Staehelin LA and Arntzen C (eds) Photosynthesis III: Photosynthetic Membranes and Light Harvesting Systems, pp 508–527. Springer Verlag, New YorkGoogle Scholar