The Representation of Numbers by States in Quantum Mechanics
The representation of numbers by tensor product states of composite quantum systems is examined. Consideration is limitedto k — ary representations of length L and arithmetic mod K L An abstract representation on an L fold tensor product Hilbert space H arith of number states and operators for the basic arithmetic operation is described. Unitary maps onto a physical parameter based tensor product space H phy are defined and the relations between these two spaces and the dependence of algorithm dynamics on the unitary maps is discussed. The important condition of efficient implementation by physically realizable Hamiltonians of the basic arithmetic operations is also discussed.
Keywords:Number representation quantum states quantum computers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Benioff, Los Alamos Archives Preprint quant-ph/0003063.Google Scholar
- R. Landauer, Physics Today 44: No 5, 23, (1991); Physics Letters A 217: 188, (1996); in Feynman and Computation, Exploring the Limits of Computers, A.J.G. Hey, Ed., (Perseus Books, Reading MA, 1998).Google Scholar
- L.K. Grover, in Proceedings of 28th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing ACM Press New York 1996, p. 212; Phys. Rev. Letters, 79: 325 (1997); Phys. Rev. Letters, 80: 4329 (1998).Google Scholar
- S. Lloyd, Los Alamos Archives preprint quant-ph/9908043; Y. J. Ng, Los Alamos Archives Preprint quant-ph/0006105.Google Scholar
- R. Laflamme, C. Miquel, J. P. Paz, and W. H. Zurek, Phys. Rev. Letters 77: 198 (1996); D. P. DiVincenzo and P. W. Shor, Phys. Rev. Letters 77: 3260 (1996); E. M. Raines, R. H. Hardin. P. W. Shor, and N. J. A. Sloane, Phys. Rev. Letters 79: 954 (1997); E. Knill, R. Laflamme, and W. H. Zurek, Science 279: 342 (1998).CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- C.H. Bennett in Feynman and Computation, Exploring the Limits of Computers A.J.G. Hey, Ed., (Perseus Books, Reading MA, 1998); C.H. Bennett D.P. DiVincenzo, C.A. Fuchs, T. Mor, E. Rains, P.W. Shor, J.A. Smolin, and W.K. Wooters, Rev. A 59: 1070 (1999).Google Scholar