System for Trademark Archival and Retrieval
We have presented a trademark archival and registration system STAR in this chapter. It was developed using our content-based retrieval engine CORE. We have tackled difficult issues for conflicting trademark retrieval, namely, searching multi-lingual word-in-mark and diverse trademark images. We have developed special similarity measures for word-in-mark, fuzzy thesarus to search trademark image by meaning match, and three feature extraction methods and learning method to fuse these feature measures for searching trademark images by shape. Our experimental results have shown the effectiveness of these techniques.
KeywordsColor Space Feature Measure Feature Extraction Method Moment Invariant Fourier Descriptor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.International Classification of the Fifurative Elements of Marks, Vienna Agreement of June 12, 1973, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), WIPO Publication No. 502(E), Geneva, 1993Google Scholar
- 2.Y. J. Gao, J. J. Lim, A. D. Narasimhalu, F“uzzy Multilinkage Thesaurus Builder in Multimedia Information Systems”, The 3rd International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Montreal, Canada, 1995Google Scholar
- 3.K. Hornk, M. Stinchocombe, H. White, “Multi-layer Feedforward Networks Are Universal Approximators”, Neural Networks, Vol. 2, pp. 359–366, 1989Google Scholar
- 4.J. K. Wu, “Neural Networks and Simulation”, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 1994Google Scholar
- 5.J. K. Wu, B. M. Mehtre, Y. J. Gao, P. C. Lam, A. D. Narasimhalu, “STAR — A Multimedia Database System For Trademark Registration”, Applications of Databases, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 819, Proc. First International Conference, Vadstena, Sweden, pp. 109–122, 1994Google Scholar
- 7.J. K. Wu, “Content-based Indexing of Multimedia Databases”, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 978–989, 1997Google Scholar
- 9.J. K. Wu, A. D. Narasimhalu, “Fuzzy Content-based Image Databases”, Information Processing and Management, to appearGoogle Scholar
- 10.F. Ali, T. Pavlidis, “Syntactic Recognition of Handwritten Numerals”, IEEE Trans. Syst. Man. Cybern., Vol. 7, pp. 537–541, 1977Google Scholar
- 11.K. Arbter, W. E. Snyber, H. Burkhardt, G. Hirzinger, “Application of Af fine-Invariant Fourier Descriptors Recognition of 3-D objects”, IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., Vol. 12, No.7, 1990Google Scholar