Meeting the needs of industry: SMU's Master's degree program in software engineering
In response to industry demand, the Master's degree program in software engineering at Southern Methodist University (SMU) was established in 1993. Drawing on the strengths of the university, the regional business community, and the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), SMU's curriculum addresses the software engineering process from both a technical and management perspective. The SMU curriculum affirms the tenet that software engineering must be a well-managed discipline supported by an underpinning of science and technology.
The SMU program is discussed in the context of existing graduate programs in software engineering as well as SEI's recommended core curriculum for graduate education. In addition, we establish critical links between the graduate curriculum and business requirements by mapping course offerings to SEI's Capability Maturity Model (CMM), a framework for project management and quantitative control of the software process. These linkages form the basis for the program's ongoing self-evaluation with respect to its goals and objectives.
KeywordsSoftware Engineering Software Engineer Capability Maturity Model Software Engineer Institute Software Engineering Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.S. Humphrey: “Characterizing the Software Process: A Maturity Framework,” IEEE Software, March 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.M.C. Paulk, B. Curtis, M.B. Chrissis, C.V. Weber: Capability Maturity Model for Software, Version 1.1, Software Engineering Institute (CMU/SEI-93-TR-24)Google Scholar
- 4.National Science Foundation: Science and Engineering Indicators: 1991, NSF, Washington, DC, 1991Google Scholar
- 5.F.P. Brooks Jr.: “No Silver Bullet: Essence and Accidents of Software Engineering,” Information Processing 1986, pp. 1069–1076.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Shaw: Informatics for a New Century: Computing Education for the 1990s and Beyond. Software Engineering Institute (CMU/SEI-90-TR-15)Google Scholar
- 7.G. Ford: 1991 SEI Report on Graduate Software Engineering Education, Software Engineering Institute (CMU/SEI-91-TR-2)Google Scholar