The Growth of the Homo Psychologicus—Optimization Theory as a Replacement for Positioning Theory
In spite of how powerful Positioning Theory seems to be, it is not able to test the decision it recommends. How come this happens? This chapter discusses the reason that Positioning Theory is not a particularly competent tool; moreover, in certain cases, it can bring harm to the company, as well as the economic ecosystem. We are also reconsidering the role of resources in this chapter, proposing the Resource Optimization Theory as a replacement for Positioning Theory.
- Cakebread, C. (2017, November 10). The 19 hottest San Francisco startups to watch in 2018. Business Insider. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/the-19-hottest-startups-in-san-francisco-to-watch-in-2018-2017-11. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Foucault, M. (1972). The Archaeology of Knowledge. London: Tavistock Publications.Google Scholar
- Ohnsman, A. (2017, March 27). Autonomous car race creates $400k engineering jobs for top Silicon Valley talent. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2017/03/27/autonomous-car-race-creates-400k-engineering-jobs-for-top-silicon-valley-talent/#14c0ebd814a3. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Ries, A., & Trout, J. (1981). Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind. New York: Warner Books.Google Scholar
- Trout, J. (1969). “Positioning” is a game people play in today’s me-too market place. Industrial Marketing, 54(6), 51–55.Google Scholar
- Wang, N. (2018, May 5). 5 top takeaways from the big collision tech conference this week. TheStreet. Retrieved from https://www.thestreet.com/technology/5-takeaways-from-collision-2018-tech-conference-14580346. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Yang, A. (2016, January 8). What’s eating Silicon Valley. Quartz. Retrieved from https://qz.com/586941/whats-eating-silicon-valley/. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Zwilling, M. (2015, July 18). 10 reasons for joining the new startup wave now. The Huffington Post. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-zwilling/10-reasons-for-joining-th_b_7824920.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.