Thermal Modeling and Simulation of Crater Generation on Wire Electrode During Wire EDM Operation
In the present research, the wire cross section is considered for analysis to evaluate the peak temperature obtained by the wire during machining. The crater shape and crater area on the wire have been estimated from the temperature profile which can be used to evaluate the wire erosion rate. Gaussian heat flux is considered in the model as it gives better results compared to other approaches as available in literature. In the present work, we have considered the latent heat of melting of brass wire as it is a very important factor in the thermal modeling of EDM because latent heat signifies the consumption of the amount of supplied heat in the phase change of the wire material. The developed model successfully predicted the temperature profiles across the wire cross section. It will be useful in the prediction of wire rupture during adverse process conditions.
KeywordsWire EDM Wire electrode life Wire rupture Finite element method Thermal modeling
- 4.Banerjee, S., Prasad, B.V.S.S.S., Mishra, P.K.: Analysis of three-dimensional transient heat conduction for predicting wire erosion in the wire electrical discharge machining process. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 65(1–3), 134–142 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(95)02253-8CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Banerjee, S., Prasad, B.V.S.S.S.: Numerical evaluation of transient thermal loads on a WEDM wire electrode under spatially random multiple discharge conditions with and without clustering of sparks. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 48(5–8), 571–580 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-009-2300-8CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Tomura, S., Kunieda, M.: Analysis of electromagnetic force in wire-EDM. Precis. Eng. 33(3), 255–262 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precisioneng.2008.07.004CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Chen, Z., Huang, Y., Huang, H., Zhang, Z., Zhang, G.: Three-dimensional characteristics analysis of the wire-tool vibration considering spatial temperature field and electromagnetic field in WEDM. Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf. 92, 85–96 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2015.03.003CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Ikai, T., Hashigushi, K.: Heat input for crater formation in EDM. In: Proceedings of International Symposium for Electro-machining—ISEM XI, EPFL, pp. 163–170 (1995)Google Scholar