Investigations into the Effect of Varying Electrode Diameter on Cutting Rate and Kerf Width in WEDM of Varying Thickness Inconel718
Wire electrical discharge machining of varying thickness Inconel718 plate of 8, 10, and 12 mm, which is widely used as aircraft turbine material having extremely good high-temperature characteristics, is done to investigate the effect of zinc-coated wire electrode diameter of 0.15, 0.20, and 0.25 mm on the cutting rate which is the most important economic considerations in the manufacturing and kerf width is known to be dimensional accuracy of the WEDM. The commonly used large diameter of wire we end with larger kerf width is not desirable in precision jobs. In the ocean of research on WEDM parametric effects, light is focused on the effect of using small diameter wire on cutting rate, checking its feasibility with high thickness plates and accuracy it gives. Taguchi L27 array has been used for experimental design. And further to that, ANOVA is done to find the most influencing factor. It is found that small wire diameter gives good cutting rate along with promisingly small kerf width.
KeywordsWEDM Cutting rate Kerf Inconel
The author wishes to acknowledge the TEQIP-II, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University, Lonere for the availability of funds for carrying experimentation work.
- 2.Han, F., Jiang, J., Yu, D., Tosun, N., Cogun, C., Tosun, G.: Influence of machining parameters on surface roughness in finish cut of WEDM. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 34(5–6), 538–546 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Chalisgaonkar, R., Kumar, J.: Parametric optimization and modelling of rough cut WEDM operation of pure titanium using grey-fuzzy logic and dimensional analysis parametric optimization and modelling of rough cut WEDM operation of pure titanium using grey-fuzzy logic and dimensional analysis, pp. 1–28 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Kasim, M.S., Mohamad, E., Sulaiman, M.A.: Study on cutting parameter on kerf width using wire electrical discharge machining of Inconel718 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Unune, D.R.: Performance investigations of different electrode materials in micro-EDM drilling of inconel-718Google Scholar
- 10.Prohaszka, J., Mamalis, A.G., Vaxevanidis, N.M.: The effect of electrode material on machinability in wire electro-discharge machining. 69, 233–237 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Nourbakhsh, F., Rajurkar, K.P., Malshe, A.P., Cao, J.: Wire electro-discharge machining of titanium alloy. Procedia Soc. Behav. Sci. 5, 13–18 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Yadav, A.K., Yadav, S.K.S.: Experimental study of Zinc coated and bare electrode machining of Ni-alloy for EDM-A comparative studyGoogle Scholar