Implementation of L-Shaped Dielectric Double Metal Dual-Gate TFET Toward Improved Performance Characteristics and Reduced Ambipolarity
In this work, we have proposed an L-shaped Dielectric Double Metal Dual-Gate TFET, which has been experimentally demonstrated and investigated for the first time. This structure offers several benefits over the conventional planar TFET in terms of reduced OFF-state current and hence suppressed ambipolar conduction. The source region has been extended in vertical direction for better tunneling at the source-channel interface. The material for the L-shaped oxide is varied and accordingly three structural variations have been simulated to obtain the optimized performance characteristics: (a) L-shaped HfO2-SiO2 Double Metal Dual-Gate TFET (LS-HS-DM-DG TFET: vertical portion has HfO2 and horizontal portion has SiO2), (b) L-shaped SiO2-HfO2 Double Metal Dual-Gate TFET (LS-SH-DM-DG TFET: vertical portion has SiO2 and horizontal portion has HfO2), and (c) L-shaped SiO2-SiO2 Double Metal Dual-Gate TFET (LS-SS-DM-DG TFET: total L-shape comprised of SiO2). All the fundamental device parameters have been analyzed to demonstrate the tunneling phenomena in the L-shaped Dielectric gate-engineered TFET structure under various biasing conditions. All the simulations have been performed in 2D using Silvaco, Atlas.
KeywordsL-shaped dielectric double metal dual-gate TFET LS-HS-DM-DG TFET LS-SH-DM-DG TFET LS-SS-DM-DG TFET Ambipolar conduction suppression
- 1.Bagga, N., Sarkhel, S., Sarkar, S.K.: Recent research trends in gate engineered tunnel FET for improved current behavior by subduing the ambipolar effects: a review. In: 2015 International Conference on IEEE Computing, Communication & Automation (ICCCA), pp. 1264–1267 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Bagga, N., Sarkar, S.K.: An analytical model for tunnel barrier modulation in triple metal double gate TFET. IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 62(7), 2136–2142Google Scholar
- 6.Lattanzio, L., De Michielis, L., Ionescu, A.M.: Complementary germanium electron–hole bilayer tunnel FET for sub-0.5-V operation. IEEE Electron Device Lett. 33(2), 167–169 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, L., Yu, E., Taur, Y., Asbeck, P.: Design of tunneling field effect transistors based on staggered hetero junctions for ultra low power applications. IEEE Electron Device Lett. 31(5), 431–433 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Goswami, B., Bhattachariee, D., Dash, K.D., Bhattacharya, A., Sarkar, S.K.: Demonstration of T-shaped channel tunnel field-effect transistors. In: (IEMENTech) 2018 2nd International Conference on Electronics, Materials Engineering & Nano-TechnologyGoogle Scholar