A New Image Interpolation Using Laplacian Operator
In this paper, a novel method for image interpolation is proposed. This method is based on the application of the Laplacian operator for the purpose of detecting the edge-directions and then interpolating the missing pixels using the cubic convolution. We start applying a down-sampled by a factor of two to the gray high-resolution image in order to obtain a low-resolution image. Then, the preprocessed image is reconstructed by using the proposed interpolation method. The proposed method is implemented and tested over several gray images, and also compared to many interpolation methods in the state-of-the-art. The simulation results are shown to be superior compared to the other interpolation methods in both of objective measurement in terms of PSNR, SSIM and FSIM, and visual quality of image results.
KeywordsImage interpolation Laplacian operator Image reconstruction Super-resolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Muresan, D., Parks, T.W.: Prediction of image detail. In: Process. Int. Conf. Image 2000, vol. 2 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Giachetti, A., Asuni, N.: Fast artifacts-free image interpolation. In: Br. Mach. Vis. Conf. Leeds UK, pp. 123–132 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Asuni, N., Giachetti, A.: Accuracy improvements and artifacts removal in edge based image interpolation. In: Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Comput. Vis. Theory Appl. VISAPP 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Dube, S., Hong, L.: An adaptive algorithm for image resolution enhancement. In: Thirty-Fourth Asilomar Conf. Signals Syst. Comput. 2000 Conf. Rec., vol. 2 (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Allebach, J., Wong, P.W.: Edge-directed interpolation. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Image Process., vol. 3, pp. 707–710 (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Cok, D.R., Lee, W.L.: Signal processing method and apparatus for producing interpolated chrominance values in a sampled color image signal. US Pat. No 4642678 (1987)Google Scholar
- 18.Li, M., Nguyen, T.: Markov random field model-based edge-directed image interpolation. In: International Conf. Image Proc., pp. 93–96 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Adamczyk, K., Walczak, A.: Application of 2d anisotropic wavelet edge extractors for image interpolation. In: Human-Computer Systems Interaction, pp. 205–222. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Ousguine, S., Essannouni, F., Essannouni, L., Aboutajdine, D.: High Resolution Image Reconstruction Using the Phase Correlation. J. Inf. Organ. 2(3), 128–134 (2012)Google Scholar
- 23.Dubois, E.: http://www.site.uottawa.ca/edubois/demosaicking
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.