An Energy-Aware Clustering Approach Based on the K-Means Method for Wireless Sensor Networks
This paper describes a new approach to build energy aware clusters for Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN). The algorithm behind is based on the k-means method which is well known as a clustering technique and widely used in several fields of engineering and research. K-means clustering tends to find clusters of comparable spatial extent (density clustering). We try to enhance the clustering process by selecting nodes as clusters that are centric and have a high level of energy. This will give the same QoS results as given by the K-means approach with a reduction of energy consumption and a prolongation of the lifetime of the sensor network. For the simulation purposes, we have implemented our approach on the OLSR routing protocol which has been selected by our research team as a test bed routing protocol. We have compared our new approach (OLSR-Kmeans-Energy) with a previous work we developed and where we use a Max-Min heuristic (OLSR-MaxMin-Energy) to enhance QoS parameters and the lifetime of the WSN. Our new approach seems to give better results than the MaxMin approach.
KeywordsClustering K-means Routing protocols Energy aware routing protocols Wireless Sensor Networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dornbush, S., Joshi, A.: StreetSmart traffic: discovering and disseminating automobile congestion using VANETs. In: IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC2007-Spring, pp. 11–15 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Yoneki, E., Bacon, J.: Distributed multicast grouping for publish/subscribe over mobile ad hoc networks. In: 2005 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, vol. 4, pp. 2293–2299 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Khanna, R., Liu, H.: System approach to intrusion detection using hidden Markov model. In: IWCMC 2006 Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, pp. 349–354. ACM (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Hamad, O.F., Kang, M.-Y., Jeon, J.-H., Nam, J.-S.: Neural network’s k-means distance-based nodes-clustering for enhanced RDMAR protocol in a MANET. In: IEEE 2008 Signal Processing and Information Technology, pp. 192–197 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Choukri, A., Habbani, A., El Koutbi, M.: A hierarchical version of OLSR for MANET. World Applied Sciences Journal 21(12), 1739 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Choukri, A., Habbani, A., El Koutbi, M.: An energy efficient clustering algorithm for MANETs. In: ICMCS 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.MacQueen, J.: Some methods for classification and analysis of multivariate observations. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, pp. 281–297, Berkeley (1967)Google Scholar
- 11.Forgy, E.W.: Cluster Analysis of Multivariate Data: Eficiency versus Interpretability Models. Biometrics 61(3), 768–769 (1965)Google Scholar
- 12.Benzecri, J.P.: L’analyse des donnes: la taxinomie, Tome 1. Dunod, Paris (1973)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.