The Death Penalty in China and Its Impact on Sino-Canadian Criminal Justice Cooperation
Since the People’s Republic China (PRC) and Canada established formal diplomatic relations in 1970, the past 45 years have witnessed important progress in judicial and law-enforcement cooperation between the two countries (Beare in Global Transnational Crime: Canada and China, 2010; Luo in The Globe and Mail, 2015). In 1994, Canada became the first country to enter into a treaty on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters with the PRC. Over the years, China and Canada have enjoyed increasing cooperation in the field of criminal justice.
KeywordsDeath Penalty Death Sentence Criminal Matter Nonviolent Crime Mutual Legal Assistance
- Amnesty International. 2015. Death Sentences and Executions 2014. http://www.amnestyusa.org/pdfs/DeathSentencesAndExecutions2014_EN.pdf (consulted May, 24 2015).
- Beare, Margaret. 2010. Global Transnational Crime: Canada and China. Canadian International Council, China Papers no. 16. http://www.onlinecic.org/resourcece/archives/chinapapers/cic_chinapapersno16_bearepdf (consulted December 20, 2010).
- Bloom, Matthew. 2008. A comparative analysis of the United State’s response to extradition requests from China. Yale Journal of International Law 33: 177–214.Google Scholar
- Cai, Dingjian. 1997. China’s major reform in criminal law. Columbia Journal of Asian Law 11: 213–218.Google Scholar
- Council of Europe. 2004. Death Penalty: Beyond Abolition. Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publications.Google Scholar
- Chen, Albert. 2004. An Introduction to the Legal System of the People’s Republic of China, 3rd ed. Hong Kong: LexisNexis.Google Scholar
- Dhillon, Sunny. 2014. Chinese court overturns verdict in Amanda Zhao killing. The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/chinese-court-overturns-verdict-in-amanda-zhao-killing/article19401593/ (consulted May 24, 2015).
- Dui, Hua. 2015. Quest for Retrial: Court Holds Novel Hearing on Nie Shubin Case. http://www.duihuahrjournal.org/2015/05/quest-for-retrial-court-holds-novel.html (consulted May 24, 2015).
- Germain, Anthony. 2010. Playing the respect card. CBC News. http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/12/03/f-rfa-germain.html (consulted December 12, 2010).
- Givelber, Daniel. 2002. Innocence abroad: The extradition cases and the future of capital litigation. Oregon Law Review 81: 161–82.Google Scholar
- Government of Canada, Office of the Prime Minister. 2009. Canada-China Joint Statement. http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2009/12/03/canada-china-joint-statement (consulted May 24, 2015).
- Government of Canada, Office of the Prime Minister. 2010. Canada and China Broaden Strategic Partnership. http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2010/06/24/canada-and-china-broaden-strategic-partnership-0 (consulted May 24, 2015).
- Government of Canada, Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development. 2013. Stepping up the Fight Against Transnational Organized Crime. Available from: http://www.international.gc.ca/media/aff/news-communiques/2013/07/04b.aspx?lang=eng (consulted May 13, 2015).
- Henchey, Janet. 2007. Return of Fugitives pursuant to UNCAC and UNTOC—The Canadian experience. Promoting criminal justice reform: A collection of papers from the Canada-China Cooperation Symposium, Vancouver. http://www.icclr.law.ubc.ca/Publications/Reports/Promoting%20Criminal%20Justice%20Reform%20070607.pdf (consulted December 6, 2010).
- Hood, Roger. 2009. Abolition of the death penalty: China in world perspective. City University of Hong Kong Law Review 1: 1–21.Google Scholar
- Lague, David. 2007 May 29. China urges Western Nations to enter extradition treaties. New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/29/world/asia/29china.html (consulted 20 November 2010).
- Lewis, Margaret. 2007. Mutual Legal Assistance and Extradition: Human Rights Implications. http://www.hrichina.org/public/PDFs/CRF.2.2007/CRF-2007-2_Extradition.pdf (consulted November 19, 2010).
- Liu, Nanping (1991). Legal precedents with Chinese characteristics: Published cases in the Gazette of the Supreme People’s Court. Journal of Asian Law, 5(1): 107–140.Google Scholar
- Liu, Li. 2005 April 14. Wrongly jailed man freed after 11 years. China Daily. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-04/14/content_434020.htm (consulted December 13, 2010).
- Luo, Zhaohui. 2015 January 11. Building on a breakthrough year in Canada-China relations. The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/building-on-a-breakthrough-year-in-canada-china-relations/article22406693/ (consulted 16 May 2015).
- Mickleburgh, Rod. 2010 November 26. B.C. MLA questions China’s delay in taking accused to trial. The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-mla-questions-chinas-delay-in-taking-accused-to-trial/article1816080/ (consulted December 2, 2010).
- Monthy, Jeremy. 1998. Internal perspectives on Chinese Human Rights Reforms: The death penalty in the PRC. Texas International Law Journal 33: 189–226.Google Scholar
- Mulroney, David. 2015. Middle Power, Middle Kingdom: What Canadians Need to Know about China in the 21st Century. Allen Lane.Google Scholar
- Peerenboom, Randall. 2005. Assessing Human Rights in China: Why the double standard? Cornell International Law Journal 38(1): 71–172.Google Scholar
- Public Security Canada. 2008 August 22. Alleged Fraud Leads to Deportation from Canada. http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/media/nr/2008/nr20080822-eng.aspx (consulted 4 December 2010).
- Savadove, Bill. 2006 November 21. Stop torturing suspects to get confessions, says prosecutor. South China Morning Post.Google Scholar
- Schabas, William. 2003. Indirect abolition: Capital Punishment’s role in extradition law and practice. Loyola Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review 25: 581–604.Google Scholar
- Schabas, William. 2009. Human rights, Capital punishment and the EU-China relationship. EU-China Observer 6: 8–12.Google Scholar
- Scott, Kandis. 2010. Why did China reform its death penalty? Pacific Rim Law & Policy Journal 19(1): 63–80.Google Scholar
- Trevaskes, Susan. 2013. Suspending death in Chinese capital cases: The road to reform. In Confronting Capital Punishment in Asia: Human Rights, Politics and Public Opinion, ed. Roger Hood, and Surya Deva. UK: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- United Nations. 2010. Capital Punishment and Implementation of the Safeguards Guaranteeing Protection of the Rights of Those Facing the Death Penalty: Report of the Secretary-General. UN Doc. E/2010/10. New York: United Nations Economic and Social Council.Google Scholar
- Wang, Jingqiong. 2010 January 16. Fraud suspect returns to China. China Daily. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-01/16/content_9330314.htm (consulted December 11, 2010).
- Xie, Chuanjiao. 2008 June 27. Top court overturns 15 % of death sentences in 1st half year. China Daily. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-06/27/content_6798854.htm (consulted May 6, 2011).
- Yang, Vincent C. 1998. International cooperation in combating fraud: Beyond the treaties and conventions. Paper presented at the international symposium on the prevention and control of financial fraud, October 19–22, in Beijing.Google Scholar
- York, Geoffrey. 2007 January 29. China asks Canada to deport alleged embezzler. The Globe and Mail A1.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Yan, and He Dan. 2011 May 2. 13 crimes exempted from death penalty. China Daily. http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-05/02/content_12429666.htm (consulted May 2, 2011).