Hand Gesture Control of Computer Features
- 11 Downloads
Using hand gestures for controlling laptop features is a creative and innovative strategy of communication between users and devices. As compared to existing methods, the technique of hand gesture has the benefit of being easier to use. By using this technique, the conventional method of using mouse, keyboards, and controllers will have to change since by utilizing the proposed solution, one can interact with the computer with hand gestures. In this technique, ultrasonic sensor is used to classify the hand movement in real time. Ultrasonic sensors (HC-SR04) measure the distance of the user’s hand by using sound waves to calculate the time difference between reflected waves. The principle thought of our methodology is to accelerate the interaction with the computer, by using universally used equipment like a laptop, Arduino UNO board, and low-cost sensors like the HC-SR04. By the use of PyAutoGUI and PySerial, the device was able to communicate and interpret the input data by the Arduino. Hence by acting along these lines, any user can easily interact with the computer using simple, easy to learn hand gestures.
KeywordsUltrasonic HC-SR04 sensor Arduino UNO PyAutoGUI PySerial Gesture recognition
Ethical approval: This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Kaoru Y, Lie J, Cheng Z (2014) System for controlling personal computers by hand gestures using a wireless sensor device. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 2.Nguyen MQ, Li C (2010) Radar and ultrasound hybrid system for human computer interaction. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 3.Sziladi G, Ujbanyi T, Katona J, Kovari A (2017) The analysis of hand gesture based cursor position control during solve an IT related task. 2017 8th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom), Debrecen, pp. 000413–000418Google Scholar
- 4.Rajkanna U, Mathankumar M, Gunasekaran K (2014) Hand gesture based mobile robot control using PIC microcontroller. 2014 International Conference on Circuits, Power and Computing Technologies [ICCPCT-2014], Nagercoil, pp. 1687–1691Google Scholar
- 5.Anju Latha N, Rama Murthy B, Bharat Kumar K (2016) distance sensing with ultrasonic sensor and Arduino. Department of Instrumentation, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur, A.P., IndiaGoogle Scholar