Study for structural performance of hat-type sheet pile for retaining wall
- 2.8k Downloads
This paper describes structural performance of new type Steel Sheet Pile (hereafter, SSP), Hat-type SSP, that is applied to the earth retaining walls for the construction works which U-type SSP is widely recognized as the wall material in Vietnam. When soil and water pressure act to the retaining wall, bending moment and shear force occur. However, the location of U-type SSP junction, these forces cause interlock slip so that it cannot fully perform its possessed nominal sectional properties. This can be referred to “lack of interlock integrity”, and the degree of reduction is designated as the reduction factor. Increasing necessity of higher structural reliability, Hat-type SSP, which can fully perform its possessed sectional properties, has developed. This paper presents the results of a structural test and full-scaled excavation test in order to verify the structural performance of SSP. The results of the structural test show that no interlock slip occurred to Hat-type SPP that can fully perform its possessed sectional properties. In the full-scaled excavation test, it is concluded that no necessity considering reduction factor for designing Hat-type SSP, despite adequate reduction factor should be considered for designing U-type SSP.
Keywordssteel sheet pile Hat-type sheet pile Hat+H pile retaining wall interlock integrity reduction factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harata, N. et al (2008). Development of Hat-Type Sheet Pile 900, Nippon Steel Technical Report.Google Scholar
- TCVN 9860 (2013). Vietnam National Standard, Steel sheet pile structures in transportation engineering – Design requirement.Google Scholar
- JRA (2009). Design guideline of temporary structure, Japan Road Association, 1999.Google Scholar
- BSI (2007). UK National Annex to Eurocode3 Design of steel structures Part5: Piling, NA+A1:2012 to BS EN1993-5:2007.Google Scholar
- Matsui N. et al (2015). Novel compound steel sheet pile for earth retaining works, The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering.Google Scholar
- Tominaga, T. (2018). Verification of Reduction Factor of Sectional Properties of Steel Sheet Pile due to Lack of Interlock Integrity, Presentation 6, IPA Seminar on Press-in Technology in Vietnam, Ha Noi, 2018.Google Scholar