Geotechnics for Sustainable Infrastructure Development pp 1411-1417 | Cite as
Effects of Earthquake on the Secondary Consolidation of Saturated Clay
- 2.8k Downloads
In this study, a silty clay of Phu Bai formation which widely distributes along the coastal plains in the central regions of Vietnam, Kaolinite clay and Tohoku clay which was obtained in Japan were used for undrained multi-directional cyclic shear tests with a wide range of shear strain amplitudes (γ). For the two former samples, the unloading-reloading tests were carried out and the coefficient of secondary consolidation in the recompression stage after undrained cyclic shear (εαdyn) was compared with those after unloading (εαR). The effects of cyclic shear on the secondary consolidation were then discussed in connection with the Atterberg’s limits of clays and effects of sample disturbance were also investigated for the undisturbed Tohoku clay. In conclusion, it is clarified that εαdyn generally increases with γ and the soils with higher Atterberg’s limits show larger values of εαdyn and that for Kaolin, as an effect of cyclic shear on the secondary consolidation εαdyn > εαR was observed. Furthermore, for Hue clay, the threshold shear strain amplitude over which such a relation appears was observed as 0.4%.
Keywordsclay cyclic shear settlement secondary consolidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research is funded by Vietnam National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) under grant number 105.08-2018.01 and also by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 16H02362. The experimental works were also supported by the students who graduated Yamaguchi University. The authors would like to express their gratitude to them.
- Andersen, K. H., Brown, S. F., Foss, I., Pool, J. H. & Rosenbrand, F. W. (1976). Effect of cyclic loading on clay behaviour. Int. Conf. on Design and Const. of Offshore Struct, Institution of Civil Engineers, London, pp 75-79.Google Scholar
- Fujiwara, H., Yamanouchi, T., Yasuhara, K. & Ue, S. (1985). Consolidation of alluvial clay under repeated loading. Soils and Foundation, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp 19-30.Google Scholar
- Fujiwara, H., Ue, S. & Yasuhara, K. (1987). Secondary compression of clay under repeated loading. Soils and Foundation, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp 21-30.Google Scholar
- Matsuda, H., Nhan, T. T. & Sato, H. (2017). Effects of cyclic shear direction on earthquakeinduced pore water pressure and settlement of clay layer. Proc. 16th World Conf. on Earthq Engng, January, Santiago, Chili, paper No. 1483, pp 1-12.Google Scholar
- Hyde, A. F. L., Yasuhara, K. & Hirao, K. (1993). Stability criteria for marine clay under one-way cyclic loading. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering ASCE, Vol. 119, No. 11, pp 1771-1789.Google Scholar
- Matsuda, H. & Shimizu, Y. (1995). Laboratory tests of cyclic-load consolidation. 11th European Conf. on Soil Mech and Found Engng, Copenhagen, pp 179-184.Google Scholar
- Nhan, T. T., Matsuda, H. & Sato, H. (2017). A model for multi-directional cyclic shear-induced pore water pressure and settlement on clay. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 15, pp 2761-2784.Google Scholar
- Nhan, T. T., Sato, H., Matsuda, H., Huong, H. T. S., Thien, D. Q. & Tin, T. N. (2018). Effects of multi-directional cyclic shear on the secondary consolidation of saturated clay. 11th U.S. Conf. on Earthq Engng - 11NCEE, June, Los Angeles, California, paper No. 987, pp 1-11.Google Scholar
- Ohara, S. & Matsuda, H. (1988). Study on the settlement of saturated clay layer induced by cyclic shear. Soils and Foundation, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp 103-113.Google Scholar
- Sato, H., Nhan, T. T. & Matsuda, H. (2018). Earthquake-induced settlement of a clay layer. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 104, pp. 418-431.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, T. (1984). Settlement of saturated clays under dynamic stress history. Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp 21-31. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Yasuhara, K. & Andersen, K. H. (1991). Recompression of normally consolidated clay after cyclic loading. Soils and Foundation, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp 83-94.Google Scholar
- Yasuhara, K., Hirao, K. & Hyde, A. F. L. (1992). Effects of cyclic loading on undrained strength and compressibility of clay. Soils and Foundation, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp 100-116.Google Scholar