A method for the evaluation of ultimate lateral load capacity of pile foundation
This paper proposes a method for the evaluation of ultimate lateral load capacity of pile foundation by using increment load method considering the plastic behavior of pile structural members during analysis process. This method is an extension root of previous works “Nonlinear analysis of single pile under axial and lateral loading using p-∆ curves by transfer matrix method”. A generic example of plane frame pile-supported wharf comprising of three vertical steel tubular piles embedded in medium sand stratum with slope 2 to 1 underneath will be performed based on the elastic-plastic analysis. The purpose is to present the procedure for evaluating the ultimate lateral load capacity of pile bent and to prove the reliability about the fundamental of mechanics of proposed method.
Keywordspile foundation increment load method transfer matrix method laterally loaded pile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Colin, C. (2010/11). Plastic Analysis 3rd year Structural Engineering. Retrieved from http://www.colincaprani.com/files/notes/SAIII/Plastic%20Analysis%201011.pdf.
- Deltares. (2016). D-Sheet Pilling: Design of diaphragm and sheet pile walls. Retrieved from https://content.oss.deltares.nl/delft3d/manuals/D-SheetPiling-Manual.pdf.
- Phan, D., & Nguyen, V. D. (2018). Nonlinear analysis of single pile under axial and lateral loading using p-Delta curve by transfer matrix method. The 2nd International seminar on numerical analysis in geotechnics NAG2018, Ho Chi Minh City.Google Scholar
- Phan, D., & Nguyen, V. D. (2017). Analysis of flexible pile foundation with a pier on top of rigid pile foundation by transfer matrix method. Journal of Water Resources. Vietnam Water Resources Development Association, pp 16-24 (in Vietnamese).Google Scholar
- Phan, D., & Nguyen, V. D. (2016). Analysis of pilesupported piers and wharves with soil-structure interaction consideration by stiffness matrix method. Geotechnics for Sustainable Infrastructure development. Construction Publishing House, Hanoi, Vietnam, pp 245-254.Google Scholar
- Phan, D. (2012) Method to determine the virtual ground surface for laterally loaded pile embedded in slope. Journal of Sea & Coastal. Vietnam Association of Port and Ocean, VAPO, Hanoi, pp 55-72 (Vietnamese).Google Scholar
- Standards Vietnam. (1999). Pile foundation (205:1998). Building Publishing House, Hanoi.Google Scholar
- Ralph, W. S., & Robert, M. E. (2001). State of practice in design of tall, stiff and flexible tieback retaining walls. ERDC/ITL TR-01-1. Retrieved from https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a405009.pdf.